Dumbleland Overdrive Special!!!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

Re: Dumbleland Overdrive Special!!!

Post by jelle »

My japanese is not too good yet, but I see 1970 written close to the Dumbleland pic in the link. So...1970 as the build year?
Max

Post by Max »

jelle wrote:Jesse, the really early ones have a golden panel.
To avoid misunderstandings: The early amps all have a different kind of chassis. Two examples:

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... ial%20100/

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... 20%230003/

As you'll see, for this kind of chassis a front plate and a back plate are needed. Some of these are gold - some silver.

Silver:

http://www.maverick-music.com/vintage-a ... 12-cabinet

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... wer%20Amp/

Gold:

http://dev.fretboardjournal.com/files/i ... 1470_0.jpg

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... 578e_3.jpg

Cheers,

Max
Max

Post by Max »

jelle wrote:I wonder, when was this amplifier made?
Hi Jelle, some speculations:

Based on the picture of the back in this mag it seems to me, that the complete chassis is golden. So this might be a gold version of a "usual" later chassis - like the one of the 2nd to 4th generation ODS amps - without front plate and back plate and before the "three-part" ODS-chassis. If so, it might be built after 1975. Switches, font and everything are similar to the Dumbleland reportedly used by SRV in the studio of Jackson Browne when recording "Texas Flood" (see attached pictures).

In the "Overdrive Special" section of the 1978 price list you'll find three models: OD-50 WATT, OD-100 WATT, OD-150 WATT. An there's a reverb option listed for all these three versions, too: "MODEL, REVERB, LEATHER"

Here's a picture of the 1978 price list: http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... s/ed_3.jpg

And AFAIK the first "commercial" ODS with the usual 1st to 3rd generation "Overdrive" control (instead of the three-step "Explosion" switch of the very early prototypes) was built in 1973.

So my speculation in regard to your question: Most likely built between 1975 and 1978 - because up to now I've never seen or heard of a Dumble amp built before 1975 with this kind of chassis and after 1978 with this kind of switches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

THE VELVET GLOVE!!.. :D
Well....we met Howard (Alexander)...back in the 80's. The truth of the story is that Richard Mullen discovered the Dumble effect when Stevie used the famous "velvet glove" to record Texas Flood at Jackson Browne's studio. It was just sitting in the corner and they plugged it in to see what it sounded like. Richard was so impressed with the amps that he had Alex build an entire array of gear for Chris Geppert aka Christopher Cross who at that time was riding high and had unlimited funds. Chris bought these Dumbleland 300w thingies...for rhythm and an overdrive or 2, and I think that this where Ej really first became interested. Chris and Ej were always exchanging amp and guitar ideas. Amigo was where the Chris X records were made and our engineer Chet Himes and some business partners had bought the studio from Warner Bros. Alexander had a shop there. He used to come to all of our shows and when we were working in L.A. in the studio or whatever we would hang out."
T
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
mc41

Post by mc41 »

Now owned by John Mayer !
Dumbleland overdrive special 006
He had the amp on Dead and Company 27-28 december 2019
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

mc41 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:13 pm Now owned by John Mayer !
Dumbleland overdrive special 006
He had the amp on Dead and Company 27-28 december 2019
He had this amp for a very long time....bottom right on the pic from Capitol Studios (2014~2015).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

FuzzFaceBuilder wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 am Hey all,

I was digging around online and came across this photo of what appears to be a Goldface Dumbleland Overdrive Special!

Cant make out the transformers in the photo but it looks like 6550/kt88's and a 12AU7/12BH7 setup in the PI (tall noval cover).

As an aside, I'm loving the look of the early 4x12 cabs with the metal side trim too! Looks like the Dumbleland #009 and Odyssey Bass cabs!

Digging it!
It is interesting, but by looking at the picture of the back, this amp seems to have 3 preamp tubes only, 2 for the power section (12AU7, 12BH7) and 1 for the tonestack. Maybe a solid state overdrive (with one control).

I also find curious the slide switches on top of the treble, bass and overdrive. I assume the overdrive one is ON/OFF for the effect. The Bass one might be the jumper between the two lugs of the pot in and out. No clue what the treble might be, maybe different treble caps, who knows
Max

Post by Max »

Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:45 am... this amp seems to have 3 preamp tubes only, ... .
Four preamp tubes. The first one is hard to see because it's in the shade.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Max wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:32 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:45 am... this amp seems to have 3 preamp tubes only, ... .
Four preamp tubes. The first one is hard to see because it's in the shade.
Thanks Max, is it in line with he other three, or inside in the SSS style?
Max

Post by Max »

In line with the other three.
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:45 am
It is interesting, but by looking at the picture of the back, this amp seems to have 3 preamp tubes only, 2 for the power section (12AU7, 12BH7) and 1 for the tonestack. Maybe a solid state overdrive (with one control).

I also find curious the slide switches on top of the treble, bass and overdrive. I assume the overdrive one is ON/OFF for the effect. The Bass one might the jumper between the two lugs of the pot in and out. No clue what the treble might be, maybe different treble caps, who knows
I think the switch on top of the treble could be a mid boost and on top of the bass knob could be an early PAB, lifting the ground on the bass pot.
talbany

Post by talbany »

So I have a question? :D
Does anyone know why this amp has the name "Dumbleland on it?
(in other words what feature/section does Dumble use that classifies this as a so called Dumbleland)

BTW!. It's obviously not the Preamp section since this amp appears to have the preamp of an earlier 2nd or 3rd generation ODS
( Here is a hint :wink: so far we see the name "Dumbleland on a Bass amp without filters..2 An Overdrive Special without filters.3.Both Bass and or guitar amp w/Filters :lol:) We also know he used the same PI in both Dumbleland Special/300 the Odyssey, SRV's SSS's and?? Todd Sharps 150W ODS's..

So again what feature makes this amp below a Dumbleland :?
Anyone??
Tony
4a48af47831175fc837ab6282691ded4.jpg
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

talbany wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:08 pm So again what feature makes this amp below a Dumbleland :?
I will take a crack....

Is it the lack of filters in combination with the marshall-style mounting?
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
talbany

Post by talbany »

professormudd wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:58 pm
talbany wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:08 pm So again what feature makes this amp below a Dumbleland :?
I will take a crack....

Is it the lack of filters in combination with the marshall-style mounting?
Here is a Dumbleland Special with filters/Tone expander :D

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 81#p277381

Here is an Overdrive Special Tubes up (Marshall Style)
https://www.vintageguitar.com/31567/dum ... -od150-wr/
BTW..His 150W amps (w/big transformers) were generally tubes up to better support the added weight
Next?
Max

Post by Max »

talbany wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:56 am ... His 150W amps (w/big transformers) were generally tubes up ...
Not "generally".

150W - big transformers - tubes down:

SSS 150W SRV.png