I did it! Naylor SD60 build! Pics inside!!!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sonofmickel

I did it! Naylor SD60 build! Pics inside!!!

Post by sonofmickel »

I took a while but I did it!
Without all of your help I never could have done this. This is a testament to the power of community!
I basically gutted my donor amp and imagined something I like. That something is based on the Naylor SD60. Using meticulous, upper scale maths I devised a new amp architecture as well. I also invented a new amp anomaly/feature I like to call "St. Crispins Howl". When certain leads are crossed/uncrossed, a quite holy/unholy sound can be heard emanating from the attached speakers. It goes "wheeeeeeeeewhooooooooooowwhheeeeeeeeeee" and eventually overtakes the guitar note that was initially struck, sending the player into fits and speaking tongues(that's the holy/unholy part). You can't see in the pics but I have the .001 volume bypass cap hanging about 2 feet outside and below the amp. I also replaced the 500k volume pot with a 270k to ground(happy medium). Oh yeah, I did not follow the schematic exactly either, some parts are piggy-backed and others are not : )
javascript:emoticon(':mrgreen:')
Pics: enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sonofmickel on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Re: I did it! Naylor SD60 build! Pics inside!!!

Post by xtian »

Ah, another acolyte of our lord, FSM!

[img:452:233]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... endage.jpg[/img]
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sonofmickel

Post by sonofmickel »

Recorded a noodle fest as well. Just pushed the record button. Mic is an old Soundstar MkII on a 10" Weber alnico in a 2x10 open back cab. Everything was straight up except Channel Volume at 9:00, Master volume at 7:30 (apartment levels, almost feedback but not quite) Gain 1:00 and Presence 1:00. A little TC Nova delay in the loop as well. Oops, I forgot to turn off the florescent light above the open amp, you can hear that in the recording as well...bonus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sonofmickel

Post by sonofmickel »

Too squishy...
I changed out:
820k for 1.8k, removed the .47 bypass cap.
Swapped .022 PI coupling cap for .0047, these two changes cleaned up the the tone a bit more to my liking. Seems to tighten it up a bit and lost some of the "chainsaw". Closer to HotRod Marshall but with a bit more low end grunt.

I am using the "Naked" schem as a guide. The biggest difference for me to get the Naylor tone was the Presence circuit and the .001/470k>220k>.002 peaker. I had a regular Presence circuit at first and the tone was much thinner.
Last edited by sonofmickel on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonofmickel

Post by sonofmickel »

Got tired of it already.

Moving on to a clean pedal platform.
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

The best build report I've seen in a long time. :D
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
sonofmickel

Post by sonofmickel »

Working everything back inside the amp.
This is the epitome of breadboard style.
I have some tag board that will probably be used to clean this sucka up once I find what I am looking for. I may move this to more of a D'Lite style.

I'll be moving the 100k trim pot to the back of the amp or maybe find some dual concentric styled pots.

Does anyone have a good resource for dual concentric pots?
Last edited by sonofmickel on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

Panel mount? Or dual concentric trim pot?

About 2 months ago I was scouring what seemed like the entirity of the internets for a 100k dual concentric, (regular panel mount style) they're REALLY sparce. You can get one for about ~$20, solder lug for a bass. I forget why I didn't want that one... I think the taper wasn't what I needed. Anyway, bought 2 of them from the 'bay for almost $50 after shipping from the UK, solder pin, NOS. (Yowch!!) The usual online places certainly didn't carry them. Hopefully someone has a better line on them that I overlooked. Good luck on it!
sergio

Post by sergio »

wow..when it says a good lead dress!! :lol:
sonofmickel

Post by sonofmickel »

Looking for Panel Mount. Dual 500k, 1M, 250k, with smaller plastic knobs not those huge bass concentric knobs.

Lead dress...follow dress, it's all the same! It's surprisingly a quiet amp, surprisingly. Must be the cheapo Rat Shack shielded wire I'm using. Not enough? I should use a little more you say? OK then...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

sonofmickel wrote:Working everything back inside the amp.
You misspelled "epitaph". :twisted: :lol:

FWIW, I'd back off on the shielded wire, and only use it when you determine you need it.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Zippy wrote:
sonofmickel wrote:Working everything back inside the amp.
You misspelled "epitaph". :twisted: :lol:

FWIW, I'd back off on the shielded wire, and only use it when you determine you need it.
Yes yes and yes . you may or may not like the sd60 but if your basing it off of that thing and all that shielded wire. You don't know what one sounds like.