Standby bypass

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pdf64

Re: Standby bypass

Post by pdf64 »

Stevem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am...one of my main reasons for having one is to cut down on thermal related mechanical failures of the output tubes...
Bear in mind that back in the golden age of tubes, tubes mattered, their reliable operation was essential to the continuation of the free world and civilisation as we know it :shock:
And similarly with the 'unfree' world :twisted:
The military industrial complex on both sides committed massive resource into getting tubes and their application developed to the point we're familiar with.
Consider that if a 'standby enabled an extended warm-up and cool-down' would have helped to ensure that, eg a 5881 drove the servo to open the B52 bomb door or whatever, then guidance to that effect would have been included in the manufacturer's information, and Tomer would have mentioned it in his exhaustive report linked to previously.
Stevem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am...I would love to see test results in terms of how long it takes for a output tube to develop a grid to heater short when they are cooled down slow as compared to running them near flat out and then just killing all power to the amp...
How can g1, g2 or g3/beam plates short to the heater? Apart from a bit sticking out at the end, the heater structure is encased in the cathode.
And amps would normally be turned off whilst idling, when grid dissipations are minimal.
eg a 6L6GC g2 limit is 5W, whereas it may idle typically below 1 watt.
Stevem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am...Any of us who have played tube amps for a long time and worked on them for a long time have seen many cases where we take them off standby and the fuse blows right away due to a failed output tube...
Sure but my guess is that may be due to incompetent standby implementations, eg http://schems.com/schematicheaven.net/m ... w_100w.pdf or just from designs that subject tubes to operating points that are beyond their limiting values.
Stevem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am...In this type of failure the tube has already shorted out when the amp was turned off. The last time it was shut down , not when we just turned it on, and to me this a mechanical failure from the cycle extreme of hot and cold which a standby switch can help to ease!...
All this is your hypothesis, right? There seems no way you could ascertain that a previously functioning tube has failed as it cools?