Modded Tremolux

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

didit

Re: Modded Tremolux

Post by didit »

Congratulations sir.
johnnyreece wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:36 pm -My tremolo is satisfactory, however, there's not a huge difference between the speeds. I put my frequency counter on it, and on slow my range is 3.1-6.21Hz. Fast is 3.96-9.26Hz. Would it be worth it to increase R25 to slow down the slow range a bit more? Practically, how low can this frequency really go?
Hmm -- I've neither the frequency nor depth of experience sluckey brings. However, it seems reasonable to up that resistor to 680k or even 750k so the sum of the pot plus resistor is closer to the original. You'll lose some range into higher frequencies, but get closer to the lowest available. Subbing that 6SL7 has changed overall oscillation dynamics, which confounds perfect comparison.

Best .. Ian
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

didit wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:39 pm However, it seems reasonable to up that resistor to 680k or even 750k so the sum of the pot plus resistor is closer to the original.
Good guess! I swapped the 220k with a 680k (which actually measures over 700k), and that was good. My range is now (from memory) 2.6-4 Hz on slow, 3.9-9.6 Hz on fast. I think I'm about to call it done. Need to get that 680k soldered in (I was just clipping in different values temporarily). Then I'll take some pics. Hopefully going to get some faceplates made soon. If there's any interest, I can take some more measurements with other power tubes and post them, as well as some preamp voltages.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

johnnyreece wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm My range is now (from memory) 2.6-4 Hz on slow, 3.9-9.6 Hz on fast.
That's a very useful frequency range.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

sluckey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:08 pm
johnnyreece wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm My range is now (from memory) 2.6-4 Hz on slow, 3.9-9.6 Hz on fast.
That's a very useful frequency range.
Thanks! Yeah, I was playing over the weekend, and I don't see a need for any faster speed. I don't know how much lower it could practically go, but it's fine enough for me as-is. Glad I kept tinkering with it to get it dialed in.

Speaking of which, I finally ran some 6V6 and KT66 tubes this weekend. It forced me to modify the bias resistors (again). I temporarily clipped in a parallel 1k resistor to the one that's currently in there. I now have the option for 176 ohms (EL34, 6L6), 600 ohms (6K6), and 375 ohms (6V6, KT66). I found my favorite combo over the weekend: KT66 and GZ34. I couldn't find a setting I didn't like with those installed. A side bonus of the GZ34 is the warmup time. Unlike the 5U4, it doesn't slam my power section on startup. That's something I wanted to ask: My electrolytics are rated for 450V, but with a 5U4, my B+ nears 500V while warming up. Is this okay, or should I get higher rated caps?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

johnnyreece wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm ... My electrolytics are rated for 450V, but with a 5U4, my B+ nears 500V while warming up. Is this okay, or should I get higher rated caps?
Their short term surge voltage rating might be up to 20% above their max working voltage rating.
So as the near 500V will only last for 20 seconds or so, a time or 2 per day (?), I think most ecaps should be able to accommodate it.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

johnnyreece wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm My electrolytics are rated for 450V, but with a 5U4, my B+ nears 500V while warming up. Is this okay, or should I get higher rated caps?
I would be nervous. I like to measure the AC voltage on pin 4 or 6 of the rectifier tube, multiply that number by 1.414, and chose filter caps with a voltage rating that exceeds that number.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Thank you both for your replies. Since it was one in favor of swapping it out and one in favor of leaving it as-is, I decided to look up the data sheet (which, I admit, I should have done in the first place). According to the manufacturer, these are 450VDC working; 500VDC surge. Steve - your suggestion would put me around 510 in the high power option. Knowing the surge rating, does this seem unsafe? They're BMI caps, if that means anything to anyone.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I would be nervous. It's very common to use two 350V caps in series for the reservoir cap.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

johnnyreece wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm ... According to the manufacturer, these are 450VDC working; 500VDC surge. ...
I guess their definition of surge voltage capability may end up being more arduous than your amp subjects them to?
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Well...as I try to figure out whether to submit another parts order or not, here are some pictures of it as it sits. Please note, I accidentally bent the LED leads to where they're almost touching, but I have bent them back apart. Some of the pics will reflect that. Anyone have a better option for how to connect those?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.