Starting to populate the chassis....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dragon1

Re: Starting to populate the chassis....

Post by Dragon1 »

Ok, stripped out all the wiring, been reading and video watching and will start take-two shortly.
Will check all the resistors making sure they're the correct ones, easy to get mixed up.....so many choices...
Bought good PVC covered 20gauge wire...last stuff was cheap rubber covered that melted when soldered.
Bought the parts that go in the Skyliner as opposed to the #124. Should still be a great amp.
First thing to do is use my solder sucker to heat up and clean all the solder stuff off the terminals so the new stuff solders good and clean.
I like buying from Tube Depot, they put each component in its own bag and labels it fully, All the others it goes into one bag and you got to figure it out.
Brian
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Dragon1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 pmBought the parts that go in the Skyliner as opposed to the #124. Should still be a great amp
No doubt, the #124 Skyliner version (that is what you mean to say, I think) is a great amp.
The schematic and layout are here, https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 006#p55006
with the first schematic being the one you want to follow (not the 1984 version). As you are already aware, the chassis and board set you have isn't exactly like the layout, but you can still reproduce the schematic. One detail to note is that the 345k trimmer (actually a modified 500k) feeding the first OD stage is often changed to a 100k, like the #102 and #183.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

Yes, that's what I meant to say and yes, I have that schematic, enlarged and ready to go. I've already got the 345k trimmer on the board. Let's see what it's like before I see if I want to switch it with a 100k.
Thanks for the link and info.
Brian
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Dragon1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:47 am Yes, that's what I meant to say and yes, I have that schematic, enlarged and ready to go. I've already got the 345k trimmer on the board. Let's see what it's like before I see if I want to switch it with a 100k.
Thanks for the link and info.
Brian
If you play mostly single coils I think you'll love the bigger trimmer. It also works well for humbuckers.
Ian
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Dragon1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 pm Will check all the resistors making sure they're the correct ones, easy to get mixed up.....so many choices...
Brian, I received my electronics training in the '80's. I STILL verify each and every resistor with my meter prior to installing it because I suck at reading the color codes-its the multiplier that gets me from time to time.

I like that Tube depot does that too but they have sent me the wrong resistors before...caught it with my meter. Sent them a pic and they quickly sent the correct ones, I'm really impressed with their customer service. But I use Antique Electronic Supply too because their selection is greater.
Glenn

I solder better than I play.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

So I'm starting my redo, checking my resister ohms and stuff. I did find a couple that were wrong and a couple that were off a little. I'm fixing those. I'm checking continuity and voltages as I go. Got the heaters wired and the power transformer is putting out correct voltages. LED is 120 Volt, so I wired it off the power switch, it works.
So I have a question. Using this board and this transformer The AC bias tap should be 60VAC, transformer puts out 45vac. Is this enough voltage or do I need to do something different to get 60 volts?
As always, Thank you, Brain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Dragon1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:19 pm So I have a question. Using this board and this transformer The AC bias tap should be 60VAC, transformer puts out 45vac. Is this enough voltage or do I need to do something different to get 60 volts?
Just have to reduce the 3k9 resistor to something smaller, maybe 470 ohms or so.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

That's sounds easy, thank you, Brian
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

martin manning wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:27 pm
Dragon1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:19 pm So I have a question. Using this board and this transformer The AC bias tap should be 60VAC, transformer puts out 45vac. Is this enough voltage or do I need to do something different to get 60 volts?
Just have to reduce the 3k9 resistor to something smaller, maybe 470 ohms or so.
Correction, 47 to 100 ohms should get you in the right range.
Dragon1

Post by Dragon1 »

OK, I'll go with that. Brian