Light bulb limiter tured bright at power on

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Saywhat71

Light bulb limiter tured bright at power on

Post by Saywhat71 »

I just plugged a mixer into my light bulb limiter and the bulb lit up fast then faded. Is this normal?

Thanks!
sluckey

Re: Light bulb limiter tured bright at power on

Post by sluckey »

Saywhat71 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:07 pm I just plugged a mixer into my light bulb limiter and the bulb lit up fast then faded. Is this normal?
Probably. But brightness is relative. All depends on the normal current draw of the device under test and the bulb wattage.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Sounds correct. Typically, the bulb will get bright right at power up, as the reservoir filter fills, then it should fade.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Your mixer is going to glow brighter faster than most tube guitar stuff. Presumably, everything is solid state, so there isn't much warmup time before it pulls full current, and the reservoir caps are going to be massive compared to what were used to in tube amps.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The turn on current surge is much higher in a tube amp when the heaters are warming up then even what you would see with a 200 watt rms solid state amp getting powered up.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I'm probably conflating memories of solid state bass amps and powered mixers, or some other category of things I try to avoid working on which glow brightly and sometimes won't turn on all the way with a lightbulb limiter...
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yes. With too high a wattage limiter bulb a SS amp may not turn on / power up enough to even idle.
Many times when the voltage is too low all you will hear out of the speaker is hum which might lead you to think that the amp has a problem when it does not.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!