3rd Gen ODS by FictitiousFuzz

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Fictitiousfreedom

3rd Gen ODS by FictitiousFuzz

Post by Fictitiousfreedom »

Hello My amp obsessed friends

I've decided to move my ongoing discussion here to share a comprehensive view of my third-generation Dumble amp build. This includes all the details—layouts, photos, and a video demonstration of the tone.

**Background:**
As long as I’ve been alive I’ve wanted to play an ODS and i honestly never thought that day would come. After finding this forum around 5 years ago i went balls deep and made a few Fender circuits and eventually more complex builds and even “attempting” to design my own, all with the ultimate goal of making an ODS. This project has been in the works for over a year, with meticulous planning and iteration.

**Build Process:**
Starting with a custom layout using my drawing app (which doubles as a layout creator), I developed to-scale chassis drawings to serve as templates for drilling and assembly. My component choice and layout were entirely taken from Tony's third-gen layout and M.Roberts schematic, though I made several modifications:
- Added a power amp out jack.
- Changed the overdrive resistor from 1.2M to 1M.
- Used a 100pF bright cap
- A 0.015uF 715P OD mid cap.
- A 1.5uF Poly accent cap

**Component Choices:**
The build features a mix of NOS and modern parts:
- NOS Draloric resistors in the signal path
- Modern Dale CMF60s
- NOS TVA bypass capacitors (authenticity of TVAs uncertain).
- A few Koas and OM series CFs
- 6PS ODs
- Hammond transformers.

I am not the guy to believe that NOS resistors could sound different enough to be worth the trouble. When i replaced the OM CFs with NOS Dralorics from Jelle, it was a very noticeable improvement . It seemed to sweeten the high end, it was not subtle. I wish this was not the case but it was. I have a very controlled listening environment, My mics and cabs are far away in my live room and i listen on reference grade phones. Its extremely valuable to be able to hear exactly what the recorded tone will be in the mix or just to swap a value and hear the change without the room sounds.

For tubes:
- V1: RCA Blackplate 12AX7
- V2: Tesla Telefunken ECC83
- V3: Balanced GE 12AT7
- V4 and V5: Sovtek WXT+

**Cabinet and Aesthetics:**
The head cab is made from solid pine with dovetail joints, featuring a maple crossbar and supports. It's finished with black pig suede and orange cow leather, this was a first for me.

**Challenges and Modifications:**
Early in the build, I stuck closely to the original design but was encouraged to experiment with component values, “thanks Xtian”. I tried 130k, 150k, and 160k slopes. 0.015uF, 0.02uF, 0.03uF, and 0.04uF mid caps, same with the bright cap, plate and cathodes of every stage, ect…. I ultimately reverted to the original specs, other than the few noted above. There is something so harmonious about the response, its as if the harmonic content stacks and layers in a perfectly musically pleasing way. I can sit in front of a cab and let the sound wash over me and its so incredibly rich and beautiful, not even a trace if harshness. It just resonates with something deep in me. Im starting to sound like the man himself 8)

**Outcome:**
The amp records beautifully, offering a clarity that cuts through the mix like nothing I’ve ever heard. The tone is exactly what I envisioned, proving this build to be my most successful and satisfying yet.

**Final Thoughts:**
Despite a few minor hiccups, like having to adjust faceplate holes and replacing a faulty jack, the build went remarkably smoothly. The detailed planning and quality component selection have truly paid off.

Note: my FET didnt function at first, i found Ians build and his problem was identical to mine, he ended up replacing the jacks with the period correct ones so the solution wasn't exactly found. It seemed like the FET jack would be the culprit especially because the only one i had found was ebay nos. Nope, brand new switchcraft jack from mouser and the switch wasn't making contact, Ive had this happen before a few times. Replaced it and bam, cool feature.

Attached below are the layout, boards, photos, and a video showcasing the amp. The video was a lot of work and i mostly made it to share with you guys, no one else in my life wants to here the word Dumble ever again. I recorded and wrote a song that was an attempt at revealing the span of tones from blues to rock. The second half of the video is the amp solo as i switch through the settings and noodle. All of the guitar parts were recorded with the ODS even half of the bass signal. I appreciate this forum in a way that i cant really quantify, without the work so generously shared this could not of been possible. Thank you and enjoy!
Last edited by Fictitiousfreedom on Mon May 06, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camden

Woodworking, music, tubeamps, art and animation, and DIY electronics
Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
Www.fictitiousfuzz.com/tubeamps
Fictitiousfreedom

Re: 3rd Gen ODS by FictitiousFuzz

Pics of the amp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
Fictitiousfreedom

Pics of the cab
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
Fictitiousfreedom

Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
Fictitiousfreedom

Layout and boards
Last edited by Fictitiousfreedom on Sat May 11, 2024 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Hey Camden, congrats on your build! Nice job! Cab looks super cool too.

You may want to revisit the plate resistors though, I think RN60 may be on the rating edge and HAD used RN65 for the plates anyway. I'm sure Martin will chime in with the exact calculation :D

Something else to consider is your cap orientation. It's been discussed a few times in various threads that HAD oriented the foils towards the pots on everything except the bass cap (towards the tubes) on the 2nd and 3rd Gen amps.

Mods, I think this should be moved to "Dumble Discussion"
Ian
Fictitiousfreedom

ijedouglas wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:58 am Hey Camden, congrats on your build! Nice job! Cab looks super cool too.

You may want to revisit the plate resistors though, I think RN60 may be on the rating edge and HAD used RN65 for the plates anyway. I'm sure Martin will chime in with the exact calculation :D

Something else to consider is your cap orientation. It's been discussed a few times in various threads that HAD oriented the foils towards the pots on everything except the bass cap (towards the tubes) on the 2nd and 3rd Gen amps.

Mods, I think this should be moved to "Dumble Discussion"
Thanks man! Your build threads have helped me tremendously so Thank you!

Im sorry, i already had a thread in the discussion section that was just showing my progress, but as I was digging through the files section I noticed that a lot of the posts in the files section were peoples builds so hoping that maybe more people see it and it could help someone I put it here. I probably should’ve read the rules better.

About the foil, i had read one of your posts but i thought it only applied to 2nd gens. I love a reason to tinker and the possibility of better tone is always exciting. Thanks!

The modern RN60 are 1w and 500V. The the main difference what I can tell is it’s 1.5 W for the RN65. So they should be fine right?
Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
Fictitiousfreedom

I see now, im using a different series of dales, i don't know how i did that or why they look identical, they are smaller than the few RND65s i have. Once i know for sure whats up ill update my layout. Hopefully these CMF are good because man i really stocked up.
Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Kudos for doing all of your own work on this!

Got a link to the data sheet for the RN60's you used?

This thread belongs in the Discussion section. Can someone move it, please?

**Moderator: moved**
Fictitiousfreedom

martin manning wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:30 pm Kudos for doing all of your own work on this!

Got a link to the data sheet for the RN60's you used?

This thread belongs in the Discussion section. Can someone move it, please?

**Moderator: moved**
Thanks Martin! That means a lot from you!

Yeah i posted it above, they are the CMF60 not the RND60, i still have no clue if there is much of a difference other than the CMF60 is 1W 500V and the RND60 is 1/2w. I couldn't find very many RND65s, at least from mouser and the price is much much higher. Hopefully they are ok because man have i stocked up and Finding NOS RND65s in the right value seems futile now.

Again sorry for posting in the files, ill make sure not to do that again.
Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Here's a link to Dale RN65D: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vi ... b2kg%3D%3D
Not exactly cheap at $1.50 each for RN65D's, but you only need four for an ODS. The data sheet shows specs for Mil style RNXX, which are equivalent to CMFXX.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

martin manning wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:44 pm Here's a link to Dale RN65D: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vi ... b2kg%3D%3D
Not exactly cheap at $1.50 each for RN65D's, but you only need four for an ODS. The data sheet shows specs for Mil style RNXX, which are equivalent to CMFXX.
Six if you are building a 3rd Gen :)
Ian
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Great build! Really interesting to see the whole process from design/drawings to the finished amp. Really well done👍
Marc
Fictitiousfreedom

martin manning wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:44 pm Here's a link to Dale RN65D: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vi ... b2kg%3D%3D
Good point and thanks for the link. I am definitely going to buy 10 of those but just for curiosities sake or for anyone in the future who reads this, the CMF60s at 1w 500V should be fine right? Ill report what i find as far as any tonal difference but we all know that game and results are kind of hard to prove.

One more question Martin, someone above mentioned the 3rd gens had the foil opposite of convention, is this true and what is your belief on this? Sorry if it comes up a lot, i have found conflicting info on this specific detail. I always go with what Aikens site says on the matter but after reading how drastic the perceived change is in tone i figure its worth digging. By digging i mean bug someone with far more experience than i. Thanks!
Raoul Duke wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:10 am Great build! Really interesting to see the whole process from design/drawings to the finished amp. Really well done👍
Thank you! Your builds and your fearlessness in asking questions that i would be too afraid to ask, was a massive help to me! Really. I really appreciate all of you who have looked at my build. I have zero people around that care about this stuff so the work put in to sharing it is worth it to me as long as even one person finds it interesting or inspiring!
Camden

Www.fictitiousfuzz.com
Raoul Duke

Post by Raoul Duke »

Thank you and I’m glad my questions were helpful - it took me a long time to work up the courage to start asking, lol.

This community of experts is so very generous and helpful to the new guys like us! I’ve learned so much on this site from these great folks and truly appreciate all the knowledge and patience they’ve extended.

Now on to your next one, lol…
Marc