Amp Cradle

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

Re: Amp Cradle

Post by drhulsey »

skyboltone wrote:...The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco?
I'll trade you a little 95º, 95% humidity :o On 8/1, we played the last in the series of summer concerts in the park. The high temp/humidity almost killed us, but the crowd, several thousand strong, didn't seem to mind :shock:
I promise not to complain about the cold until at least February :D
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I have determined that my cradle does not accommodate a TW chassis very well- the damn-near zero clearance of the Trannys to the chasssis edge don't allow enough lip to set on the arms of the cradle.

I'm gonna have to do some surgery on this thing....

Ron
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

You both did an Outstanding job! had you posted this 3 years ago I probably would have built mine, but hind sight is always a bit less fuzzy. I purchased one from Weber that rotates and flips it's very useful except on Ampeg V4 chassis since the transformer is so close to the edge it can't get a good seat, but rules on fenders and marshalls. I'm very happy with mine, that is after i recieved it, it took weber almost 6 weeks to build it and 3 emails (they don't answer the phone) reminding them I was waiting, since they refused to give me a heads up to when it might be finished.
I REALLY WISH I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN A POSSITION TO BUILT IT MYSELF, I don't mean to sound like a dick but Weber was a huge headache!

You really impress me everything looks professional and so purpose built that i'd be surprised if anyone could tell it wasn't a retail purchase-!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
drew

Post by drew »

Allynmey wrote:Jeph made the best ones I've seen. I have one of his solid oak models. He also made a mini version for 12x8x2 chassis. He also made me a pcb extention arm...sweet!
I'm trying to make one of the jeph-style ones. Can someone who has one of the originals tell me if there are thumbscrews on the bottoms of the brackets as well as the tops? If not, what keeps the lower rod from wanting to slide forward when the amp is tilted downward? Thanks.
Structo

Post by Structo »

A couple things I noted when I built mine.
Make sure the two supports are high enough off of the bottom so you can run the amp with tubes in it.
The first version I made I used felt on the arms.
I also had the arms too far forward so that when I put a chassis in it, the chassis wanted to fall forward. I used the lazy susan things like Ron and I had to make new arms that were longer so that the weight would be more towards the rear.
I also had to drill holes through the arms into the sides so I could stick a cut off nail in there to keep it from rotating.
I like the idea of being able to fix the arms at any angle.

If I were to build another one this is the way I'd go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ampdoc1

Post by ampdoc1 »

Structo,

Very nice job on the plans. It looks a lot like my Weber. I got mine a couple of years ago with no hassles. I think back then they were like $129, but I really didn't have a choice. I'm pretty good at electronic builds, but completely hapless with wood.

ampdoc1
drew

Post by drew »

Maybe a photo will help . . . is there anything clamping the lower rod in place, or is it just a snug fit in the holes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Looks like there are thumb screws on them.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!