SSS - Nukular Warhead - Chassis are Finished

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RJ Guitars

SSS - Nukular Warhead - Chassis are Finished

Post by RJ Guitars »

Hello AGF Dumble crowd...

It's been many months back that I agreed to have some SSS chassis & front/rear plates made up. For those of you who believed in me, thank you!

After teaching my not so young assistant the fine art of weld prep and chassis sanding for the past couple weeks, the chassis' are now finished and I plan to start shipping this next week.

Adjust your perspective of what a large chassis is... these things are huge!! 26 x 8.5 x 2.75 inches with all welded corners using 3/32" thick 5052 aluminum. Very nicely done and quite stout.

The front and rear panels are 1/16" thick anodized aluminum with the text ball milled into the bare aluminum... they look excellent! There are two rear panel designs, one that holds very close to the available SSS info, and then a slightly different iteration that you see in the attached photo. I am limited as a photographer and never seem to capture the crispness of the lettering...

I have a few of these spoken for and a few unclaimed specimens if anyone is interested in building your own SSS.

Instructions do not come with the chassis and I have not been provided a schematic or layout.

They are $175 delivered in the USA anywhere west of the Mississippi River and $180 east of the Mississippi. I can ship anywhere in the world using USPS and you can contact me to work out shipping costs.

I'd be glad to answer all the questions I can and would be immensely pleased to learn and know more about these amps. I'll post these here for the Dumble crowd first, then eventually put them up on the AGF "For Sale" items if there are leftovers.

I have a quote for cabinets in the works and I can punch some of the holes in the chassis at a reasonable cost if you are not a hardcore DIY person.

thanks

rj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Funkalicousgroove

Re: SSS - Nukular Warhead - Chassis are Finished

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Nice chassis, should be a great project!
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

The chassis looks great! Now I have to ask, how is it going to get filled? I don't see any SSS schematics around to actually build the amp?

Thanks,

Robbie
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Robbie wrote:The chassis looks great! Now I have to ask, how is it going to get filled? I don't see any SSS schematics around to actually build the amp?

Thanks,

Robbie
Robbie that is a reasonable question... I can't answer it entirely except that I did a similar project with the Trainwreck Rocket when very little was known about it. What I found was that there was some really good help when I just asked for it... but many mysteries remained. However, when I didn't know an answer but erroneously proposed some part of the build like layout or transformers, or circuit boards, etc., there was generally an expert or two that provided the correct info. Usually this was done in a positive way and it was enjoyable to eventually bring out a combination of info that very well documented the amp.

I've heard reports that only a handful of the SSS amps were made... not really much different than the Trainwreck Rocket in that Aspect. Two Rock has their clone of the SSS amp (I think they also first cloned the TW Rocket amp as well) and a few real SSS amps have been in shops around the world, so there is some info available.

There are folks among us that can help us and generally they seem like they will when they can. I've had a few handouts offered and their is actually a ton of info buried in the archives of this forum and around the net.

Hope we get a few to join us...

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I too have seen bits and pieces of the SSS kind of revealed, but to date, the one part I see missing is the Lo/Hi step filtering. There are a lot of hints, but that's all. Even if someone were to publish the center notch freq ,Qs and db cuts, this would provide some guidance on how to move forward.

Anyways, thanks for your efforts!

Robbie
Structo

Post by Structo »

I hope somebody builds one of these monsters!
It will be a very interesting project to watch. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

There has been a bit of posting on that subject...the filter switches are either 7 or 11 position depending upon the amp...the most info is probably here- http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0 I hope this helps.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

The switches are 6 position, they use a standard guitar type rotary switch.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

dr. who wrote:There has been a bit of posting on that subject...the filter switches are either 7 or 11 position depending upon the amp...the most info is probably here- http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0 I hope this helps.
Thanks... I had seen this thread before and the most I got out of it was the step filters are comprised of an inductor of some value which is switched to some caps of some values ..... None of the pics have enough clarity see component values. :cry:
tictac

Post by tictac »

It seems the crux of the biscuit here is the rotary switch switch Hi & Low filters. Everything else has been more or less figured out.

Somebody must know what they really are and whether it's now or two years from now they will eventually be discovered and we will be talking about the SSS like we presently talk about the ODS.

Interest in the SSS is growing, chassis have already been built so it's not a question of will it happen just when and who will be the revealer of secrets.

:?:
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

in RDH4 are several different versions of filters using these switches. Heck one even gives the description of an inductor.
:roll:

No it is not a lifting of the veils as regards the sss but put all the clues together and it is far better than naught.
FuzzFaceBuilder

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

Thanks ampdork!

RDH4 is GREAT!!! As a newbie, I've been looking for texts to read online! And as an addendum to that great piece of information I'd like to add THIS tool. A Passive Filter Response Calculator to make the hi/lo filter component selection easier (and more user effective)!

Hope it helps!

Hale :mrgreen:
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

On page 63 of RDH 3 There is a discussion on grid coupling condensers that may shed some light on our step filter questions. In the only picture I have seen of the inside of a SSS, the low filter only has resistors on it. According to this section on grid coupling condensers you can parallel different values of resistors with the coupling cap to produce different levels of bass attenuation. Might it be that the High filter is changing the cap value, and the low filter is putting different resistances in parallel with that cap.
tictac

Post by tictac »

Found 2 step filters in section 15; fig 15.40 = universal step tone control using inductors and fig 15.37.b step type tone control not using inductors. Does the SSS filter controls have inductors or not?
tictac

Post by tictac »

Note: the inductors on fig 15.40 are only on the treble control; both controls are a double wiper rotary switch...

In fig 15.37b the treble control is a common 5 position rotary...