Cabinet construction - clamps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Sonny ReVerb

Cabinet construction - clamps

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

What's the best way to clamp up a cab after gluing? Do you guys use corner clamps, bar clamps, pipe clamps?

I'm leaning toward 1/2" pipe clamps, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to keep the box square using them. I know you can match diagonal measurements. Are corner clamps worth the extra expense?

I did box joints on the first couple cabs I built using a router, but I wasn't too happy with the results. Now, I'm trying to get a better set up with a table saw, dado, and jig.
dano-rator

Re: Cabinet construction - clamps

Post by dano-rator »

Pipe clamps are what I use. They're rugged and can exert considerable force, although bar clamps would work about as well. It depends what you have or what is cheaper really.

You're right - just measure the diagonals to check for square (although that depends on how accurately the pieces are cut to length) and if it's a little out you can often just lean on the corner with the longer measure a little to square it up. If it springs back you can put a clamp across the diagonal to hold it until the glue cures.

I personally wouldn't use corner clamps for anything other than small picture frames and such. They just are not large enough and don't have the strength to hold a head or speaker cab square. Also, box joints are pretty much self squaring with well machined joints, but you should check and correct if needed.

Or as an alternative, you could get yourself a handsaw, a chisel and some spare time and hand-cut some dovetails.:)

Dan'l
Structo

Post by Structo »

How about if you made a square jig that once the glue and clamps were applied you could set it in the jig to ensure squareness?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Corner clamps in opposite corners and bar clamps.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Thanks, Dan'l. That seems like a good plan.
Structo wrote:How about if you made a square jig that once the glue and clamps were applied you could set it in the jig to ensure squareness?
Good idea, but I don't make enough of any one design to go to the trouble. That's how the big boys do it, though. They use a 'case clamp' that squeezes the whole thing together in a square jig. I don't think I could fit one in the garage ;)
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

drhulsey wrote:Corner clamps in opposite corners and bar clamps.
How many corner clamps do you use? I was thinking of doing two corner clamps, on opposite corners on one side to make it square, and bar/pipe clamps all around for the rest.
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

I just glue one corner at a time, remove the bar clamps, square it up, and let it dry for an hour before doing the next corner. If your box joints are cut right they will stay together even after you remove the clamps.
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

I use 3-D squares (4)* during the initial glue up. And pipe or bar clamps to insure a tight bond.

* http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?P ... ilyID=4484
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe
Structo

Post by Structo »

Those look great Kregg!

I haven't seen those before.

They look like they would work great and really, a guy could probably take some angle iron or steel and make your own.

But I would probably just buy one of those if I ever get back to work.......that is.
Tom

Kregg

Post by Kregg »

I love them for keeping cabinets square and they can serve as a third hand. I've also used them as cut stops. I originally bought 8 thinking that I could use them on all 8 inside corners of the carcass, not so. I had to elevate the piece high enough clear the spring clamps; live & learn. Instead I only use 4 3D's for squaring up basic boxes.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe
soma_hero

Post by soma_hero »

Just bought some similar squares at Rockler. $12 for one, it's ABS plastic. I'll use it soon...
Structo

Post by Structo »

I wonder how well something like this would work?

[img:600:600]http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/08A62.jpg[/img]

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?P ... ilyID=3087
Tom

Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

One problem with that type of clamp is it puts pressure right on the corners. If your box joints are a little proud (as they should be ;) ) you need to put pressure 'below' the fingers to snug them up tight. It should make it nice and square though.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I use one of these in each corner so eight of them and one you get working on a large speaker cabinet it will really come in handy.

Mark

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=38661
tubelovin

Post by tubelovin »

I think one of those would work good for the mitered corners on an Express style cab. Seems easier than that band clamp thing I used.