Post by 67plexi »

ic-racer, Thanks' for clearing that up.

Steve.
DR103

Re: SSS 002 LAYOUT

Post by DR103 »

Aaron wrote:Revised layout below,

Just a minor tweak to the filter input.

The layout is untested so assume it has errors.

Thanks,
Aaron
Has anyone verified this build?
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

DR103 wrote:
Aaron wrote:Revised layout below,

Just a minor tweak to the filter input.

The layout is untested so assume it has errors.

Thanks,
Aaron
Has anyone verified this build?
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21508
pula58

Post by pula58 »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Hello Everyone,

I won't be so bold as to suggest this could be an error, but I'd appreciate any and all comments on this:

I am curious about the voltage across V7 in the SSS #002 schematic. I don't see any reference to tube types in the schematic, so I will assume V7 is either a 12AT7 or a 12AX7 (although 12AU7 might be a reasonable choice). We have +379V on the anodes and -40.4V on the cathodes, which places a whopping 419.4V across the tube! The 12AT7 has a design limit maximum of 300V while the 12AX7 (and 12AU7) have a design limit max of 330V. Can this tube be expected to have a long service life?

Many thanks - this is an invaluable forum!
Lou
I'm late to the pary here...but..I have the same question as Lou.
Do the SSS "type" amps have any reliability problems with the cathode follower in the PI due to large plate volts across the tube used as dual cathode follower?
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

pula58 wrote:
JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Hello Everyone,

I won't be so bold as to suggest this could be an error, but I'd appreciate any and all comments on this:

I am curious about the voltage across V7 in the SSS #002 schematic. I don't see any reference to tube types in the schematic, so I will assume V7 is either a 12AT7 or a 12AX7 (although 12AU7 might be a reasonable choice). We have +379V on the anodes and -40.4V on the cathodes, which places a whopping 419.4V across the tube! The 12AT7 has a design limit maximum of 300V while the 12AX7 (and 12AU7) have a design limit max of 330V. Can this tube be expected to have a long service life?

Many thanks - this is an invaluable forum!
Lou
I'm late to the pary here...but..I have the same question as Lou.
Do the SSS "type" amps have any reliability problems with the cathode follower in the PI due to large plate volts across the tube used as dual cathode follower?
The tube is a 12ax7 in the SSS models. I use JJs in my builds and haven't had problems. That being said, SSS02 runs the voltage on the CF higher than some of the later SSS models.
talbany

Post by talbany »

SSS's that use the CF driver are basically running in class AB2..This can provide for a larger grid swing (and eliminate grid clamp effect) on the power tubes, the result? more power and a tighter low end due to DC coupling (excursion)..So consideration must be met to not over dissipate the plates at full tilt so you may need to adjust your idle bias point to compensate for Max output power..That's all I have to say about that!!
My advice is do some research on class AB2 operation!..Some tube maunals are a good place to start.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"