Today you choose.... FORD's or TAG's

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mac Daddy

Re: Today you choose.... FORD's or TAG's

Post by Mac Daddy »

[quote="dogears"]Hi Max,

We had the loop and cables running with RF's amp. Set up that way, it was not bright.

183 was using no loop. No need with no bright cap. However, the great YouTube of pinner playing Miller's Son, was with the loop. We had to engage the return bright switch to get a useable recording. Sounded amazing that way!

Don't forget that the head & the cab were miss matched
8 Ohm head going in to a 4 ohm cab
Max

Post by Max »

@dogears:

Scott, thanks for the clarification!

@ Mac Daddy:
Mac Daddy wrote: Don't forget that the head & the cab were miss matched
Why did you set it up like this for these recordings? Doesn't the OT of #183 have a 4 ohm tap? Or did you mismatch intentionally? And what kind of cabinet and speakers was used?

Cheers,

Max
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

183's transformer does have 3 taps (4,8 and 16) but it is wired so that with one cab plugged in it's on the 8 ohm tap.
When you plug in another cab it switches to the 16 ohm tap.
So you have two 8 ohm outputs regardless if you have one or two cabs plugged in...

no idea why the mismatch for the recording though...
"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

Because of this it would be really interesting what amp you refer here to as beeing the "the RF amp"
the tan one.
"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Wow, this thread is almost as remarkable as the posted info of #124.

Shad; how's the high freq. content of the amp reduced with that low snubbers of #183? I mean; without a dumblelator it's smooth, is there a treble bleed or a higher v2b out resistor?
johan

Post by johan »

So Robbens Tan Dumble in this post is always set up with a Dumbleator loop and certain cables to reduce the brightness?
What's up with the cables?

Great thread! :D
Structo

Post by Structo »

Shad,
Do you mind sharing what the OD1 and OD2 resistor values are after the couplers in the TKT amp?
And are all four bypass caps 4.7-5uF?

Sorry if I missed it, i'm on a different pc atm.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
makrisp

Post by makrisp »

Max wrote:@ talbany:

Hi Tony,

AFAIK RF used different ODS with different series numbers over the years. And AFAIK he sometimes even used the ODS amps of other musicians for his recordings.

@all:

Because of this it would be really interesting what amp you refer here to as beeing the "the RF amp" (On which track of which record?)? About which amp you are all talking about here as "the RF amp"?

@dogears:

Hi Scott,

Here http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 934#130934 you wrote:
In fact, RFs amp is unplayable without the loop and cables.
Here you wrote:
dogears wrote:I have played both Robben's amp and Tag's amp. Robben's amp has far more bloom. Bloomiest amp I ever played in fact. It is also not overly bright or crisp. I prefer RFs by a margin.
Is this because you are talking of two different RF amps, one that you did not like without a Dumblelator and special cables (Dumblelator thread) and one that you did like even without a Dumblelator in the loop (this thread)?

Or do you like both amps - the one of Robben Ford (# unknown up to now) and #183 only with a Dumblelator in its loop and you don't like both of them without the Dumblelator?

@Mac Daddy,

Hi Mac Daddy,

may I ask, how all the clips of #183 you've posted here and in the "reference thread" have been recorded? With or without a Dumblelator and special cables in the loop to "tame the highs"? And thru what kind of cabinet / speakers?

All the best,

Max
Max,

The biggest question of all is which amp, speaker, guitar, classic, skyline,non HRM.....ect was employed on the mystic mile album? ....especially the politician clip....maybe you can shed some light on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
PM
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

Max wrote:@dogears:

Scott, thanks for the clarification!

@ Mac Daddy:
Mac Daddy wrote: Don't forget that the head & the cab were miss matched
Why did you set it up like this for these recordings? Doesn't the OT of #183 have a 4 ohm tap? Or did you mismatch intentionally? And what kind of cabinet and speakers was used?

Cheers,

Max
We thought the head was 4 ohm as per Scott
But later on found out it was 8
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

dogears wrote:No.... Not the case, it has snubbers. Shad posted the amp specs of a Bludo Ojai. Regular cap arrangement in OD. .05, .01, .005
dimitris wrote:Thanks Shad for all that info.
Sometime ago it was posted at ceriatone forum that RF's amp has no V2A snubber and V2B coupling cap is 0.01uf .Can anyone confirm if that's really the case?
In which post, I've mised that ???
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
bluesfendermanblues

dogears wrote:Interesting, the pics say it is a 100K trimmer. So, wouldn't you get 100K from trimmer input to ground? Unless the OD was not on, then the 220K is grounded on the other side....

In my tests, a setting of about 24K sounds best.... From wiper to ground. Fwiw of course.
ampdork wrote:
Question, was the OD trimmer measured with the amp on and OD on?? The reading changes depending on whether the amp is on and OD engaged.....
My notes indicate that I was getting 33K from the node of the trim pot and 220K and the wiper and 21.53 from ground. notes say OD IN...
[/quote]

Scott, which pictures are you referring to?? hint please :-)
exocet

Post by exocet »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:
dogears wrote:No.... Not the case, it has snubbers. Shad posted the amp specs of a Bludo Ojai. Regular cap arrangement in OD. .05, .01, .005
dimitris wrote:Thanks Shad for all that info.
Sometime ago it was posted at ceriatone forum that RF's amp has no V2A snubber and V2B coupling cap is 0.01uf .Can anyone confirm if that's really the case?
ampdork wrote:uot;ampdork"]
Snubbers are 270pf
bluesfendermanblues

exocet wrote:
ampdork wrote:uot;ampdork"] Snubbers are 270pf
:?:
exocet

Post by exocet »

Sorry blues, I thought that you were asking where the RF snubber values were stated...my mistake.
exocet wrote:
bluesfendermanblues wrote: In which post, I've mised that ???
:?:
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

Thanks for the info Shadd. I liked Scott's tone better on the 183 at last clip. The RF sounds like it is made for the tone knob on the guitar to be fully engaged. I don't get that impression hearing 183. It would be interesting to hear them in a rock setting ala Mark Knopfler or John Mayer(if no vocals are involved).