Looking for X10 info

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jtaylor996

Looking for X10 info

Post by jtaylor996 »

So I wanna build an amp. A few years back I came here wanting to build a TW, and ended up buying a fantastic build off of the 'fieds here.

I just had some fun rebuilding a friend's pro jr, so that's got me wanting to build from scratch again.

I'm looking for something like an Xits X10, a good Naylor, or Cat 5 Katrina. Out of those, the X10 is the most simple, and probably a the best place to start.

I've read through surf's build, and the X10=half power liverpool threads, but there doesn't seem to be a definative consensus on the X10 circuit.

Can someone point me to that info? I don't have the skills to do much other than slap something simple like this together (I know nothing about design :? ), but I'd still like to build something.

Is there a more updated circuit diagram than: http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/x10_sc ... v2_147.pdf

Or more updated layouts than what's here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ts&start=0

What about a BOM somewhere?

Does anyone sell chassis or kits for these builds?

Did anyone test values on the MM trannies from the original, or does it not matter?

Thanks!
Darkbluemurder

Re: Looking for X10 info

Post by Darkbluemurder »

The X10 is a boutique build with a quite long waiting list. There are not many of these amps around, and I doubt that most of the owners would open it up to look inside.

All the information in the threads you mentioned was based on some good gutshots and should be enough to build a working and good sounding amp. As close as it may be to the real thing - you will tweak it anyway - that's what all amp designers do.

Cheers Stephan
Colossal

Re: Looking for X10 info

Post by Colossal »

For a PT and cathode biased 2xEL84s, you'll want to be somewhere around 260 to 275VAC for solid state rectification. The X10 combines DNA from a Trainwreck Liverpool and a Vox. The amp has gone through several revisions so there isn't one design. As DBM rightfully stated, the schematic shown is plenty to get a facsimile built. The unknown values like the fixed cut control are opportunities to tune the amp you build by ear. The transformers are custom wound for Xits by Mercury and they will not discuss them with you. You will be fine with a Vox AC15 output transformer and a PT with 260-275VAC on the secondaries, depending on the plate voltages you are after.