On special request: "The Blinded Chinese Rap"

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Max

On special request: "The Blinded Chinese Rap"

Post by Max »

markusw wrote:Would love to hear another couple of blinded clips in better quality though :wink:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 827#133827

Hi Markus,

Here is at least one:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 802#140802

The riddle:

Please post a picture of (or link to) the front (plate) of an amp or modeling device that is as similar as possible to the front (plate) of the amp or modeling device that in your perception has been used for the guitar tracks of this song (all the same amp/modeling device). Posts of just the brand and decade of production will be accepted too, but only if you add the first name of the Chinese rapper girl.

Have fun,

Max
Last edited by Max on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markusw

Re: On special request: "The Blinded Chinese Rap"

Post by markusw »

Hey Max,

thanks a lot for the riddle! 8)
Will have a listen at my living room stereo..
I doubt, however, that I will be able to solve it :wink:
But I will be able to tell you if I like the sound or not :D

Peace,

Markus
markusw

Post by markusw »

Hi Max,

thanks for posting the clip!!

For me guessing what kind of amp this is, is similar to guessing what grape, year or vineyard a wine is. I just can tell you if I like it or not. :wink:

I like the lead sound, although it's not 100% my favorite sound. Nice playing too. Think I have to buy the record :D
If it is a modeling device I'm seriously impressed.

Making a guess what kind of amp/modeling device was used on this track is impossible for me. I'm simply lacking the experience.
So guessing that Lucy is the first name of the chinese rapper is the only thing I can do. :wink:

I hope that I didn't spoil your fun and that others will chime in to keep the riddle alive.

Have a nice evening!

Peace,

Markus
Max

Post by Max »

markusw wrote:For me guessing what kind of amp this is, is similar to guessing what grape, year or vineyard a wine is. I just can tell you if I like it or not. :wink:
Yes indeed, this is very similar. And it is of course a lot easier if a riddle is of a multiple choice kind (Haut Brion or Petrus?) or a completely open question (which wine?).
I like the lead sound
And how do you like the rhythm tracks, especially the intro?
although it's not 100% my favorite sound.
Just in the sense that this is not the overall most pleasing guitar sound you know or in the sense that you think another sound would fit a lot better into this musical context and emotional ambience?
Nice playing too
Yes, I think it fits very well into band and song. BTW: the player did the mastering too.
Making a guess what kind of amp/modeling device was used on this track is impossible for me. I'm simply lacking the experience.
So guessing that Lucy is the first name of the chinese rapper is the only thing I can do. :wink:
I understand very well that "Lucy" comes to your mind when you try to guess the first name of a "Chinese girl": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETegyBzAQnc
I hope that I didn't spoil your fun
Not at all, of course! We just started to chat a bit and we'll see where it will lead us. That's fun!
and that others will chime in to keep the riddle alive.
Would be great of course, but obviously I should think about some kind of "motivation":

What about a gut pic of #121 as an example for the one who is the first to post a picture of - or link to - another example of the kind of amp/device used for the guitar tracks of this song? And perhaps a nice Dumble toy for the first one who posts at least the correct brand, decade of production and first name of the girl? What do you think, Markus?

Because AFAIK it is a tradition to offer some help after the first step has been made in a riddle game, I’ll reveal that this is not the first name we are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UZKxgz_LM

Have fun, Markus, and a nice weekend!

Max
briane

Post by briane »

Nice groove, nice playing. Like the avante-guarde jazzesque rockabiliy style. somewhat of an MMW feel in there somewhere.

Not taking any guesses as to chinese girls names....met enough of em to know I'm always wrong with guessing, just ask.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
deadhead

Post by deadhead »

Elgam Collective, album Hey Now, Hey China.
Max

Post by Max »

Max wrote:
markusw wrote:although it's not 100% my favorite sound.
Just in the sense that this is not the overall most pleasing guitar sound you know or in the sense that you think another sound would fit a lot better into this musical context and emotional ambience?

Hi Markus,

maybe I should explain this question a bit better with an example:

All male and female opera singers have a very different voice, timbre and register. One for an example a coloratura soprano: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloratura_soprano
another one for an example a lyric soprano: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyric_soprano

And a coloratura soprano usually will not sing the part of Mimi in La Bohème and a lyric soprano usually will not sing the part of Queen of the Night in The Magic Flute.

But of course it may be that someone likes the natural timbre or tone of Mirella Freni more than the natural timbre or tone of Edita Gruberova.

Having said this, my question again:

Would you express by "it's not 100% my favorite sound", that you perceive the guitar timbre or tone in "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns" as a "miscast" - at least to some small extent ("not 100%") - for the part the guitar plays in this song, or did you just want to say that you like other guitar tones better in the sense as someone perhaps will like the natural timbre of Mirella Freni better than the natural timbre of Edita Gruberova?

Nice chat! Have a great weekend,

Max
markusw

Post by markusw »

Good morning Max,

thanks a lot for your explanation! :)

I don't think that another sound would fit better, IMHO it fits nicely to the song. It's just something about the timbre that I don't like for 100%. You know, sometimes you hear a guitar sound that makes you smile. In this case it just doesn't happen for me.

Regarding the intro sound. Initially, I didn't like it that much. After having listened to the clip a couple of times I believe using this sound was a good choice.
Do you know if any fx was/were used for the intro part?

My guess that Lucy is the first name of the chinese girl was based on the information found on this site:
http://www.element113.de/en/artists.html

I guess if you would offer a couple of high res gut shots of a SSS a lot of people would try to solve the riddle :wink:

Coffee is ready :D

Best regards,

Markus
Structo

Post by Structo »

deadhead wrote:Elgam Collective, album Hey Now, Hey China.
That is it with Lucy Chen.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Max

Post by Max »

markusw wrote: Do you know if any fx was/were used for the intro part?
Hi Markus,

at first thanks for your perspective on the "tone". Completely understand.

Regarding the intro:

There is only a tiny little bit of "Spreader" (Logic) present in the intro:

The Spreader (from the Logic Studio Instruments and Effects manual p.149): "effect periodically shifts the frequency range of the original signal in a nonlinear way, changing the perceived width of the signal."

But perhaps a part of the "fx" you perceive and ask about may be the flageolets in combination with an E6 tuned down to D.
My guess that Lucy is the first name of the chinese girl was based on the information found on this site:
Obviously the organ between the ears is a big help too if someone tries to solve a "sound riddle".LOL!
I guess if you would offer a couple of high res gut shots of a SSS a lot of people would try to solve the riddle :wink:
Do others here think likewise?
Most important! Melange?

Have a great weekend,

Max
markusw

Post by markusw »

Hi Max,

Max wrote: Hi Markus,

at first thanks for your perspective on the "tone". Completely understand.

Regarding the intro:

There is only a tiny little bit of "Spreader" (Logic) present in the intro:

The Spreader (from the Logic Studio Instruments and Effects manual p.149): "effect periodically shifts the frequency range of the original signal in a nonlinear way, changing the perceived width of the signal."

But perhaps a part of the "fx" you perceive and ask about may be the flageolets in combination with an E6 tuned down to D.
Thanks for your explanation! :)
Does the "Spreader" act like a phaser or like a frequency shifter?

Max wrote:Obviously the organ between the ears is a big help too if someone tries to solve a "sound riddle".LOL!
Sometimes this organ helps :lol:

Max wrote:Most important! Melange?
So far I don't have a real "espresso" machine at home but my Alessi macchinetta does a good job. Most of the time I'm just to lazy to make "foamed" milk for a "Melange" :wink:

Have a nice day!

Peace,

Markus
Max

Post by Max »

markusw wrote:Does the "Spreader" act like a phaser or like a frequency shifter?
Hi Markus,

Intro fx info:

"Spreader

The traditional way of creating a 'doubled' vocal sound is to simply re-record it. Panning one channel away from the other then gives an impression of width. The Spreader plug-in works by applying very short delay times with modulation of the frequency range, and recombining this with the original signal, producing doubling and width-enhancement tricks similar in some respects to the automatic double-tracking units of yesteryear." Source: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb09/a ... p_0209.htm

BTW: There is only a tiny tiny bit of Spreader present in the intro.

A question to all regarding the lead tone of the "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns" guitar amp/modeling device:

In this thread http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 418#133418 Mr Dumble posted this clip of #183:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

And here I've attached now only the solo part of "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns".

For the #183 clip an ES 335 has been used. For the "Bridge of 1000 Autumns" guitar track a Stratocaster.

Please comment on the similarities and differences between these two amps (/modeling device) - and please only as you perceive them in these two files and not taking into account what else you perhaps may know about #183 from other clips and sources. Thank you!

Have a nice day and all the best,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markusw

Post by markusw »

Hi Max,

thanks a lot for your informations! :D
So the Spreader might be somehow similar to a chorus, I suppose. Do you know "if modulation of the frequency range" means that the there is some additional filtering/EQing of the delayed signal, or does it refer to the "filtering" obtained by mixing a delayed signal with the dry one (a la chorus/flanger), or if it is indeed frequency shifting?
In the end it probably doesn't really matter since you already wrote that there is only a tiny bit of spreader present.

Also thanks for extending the riddle! 8)
I sincerely hope that others will chime in to make it more interesting for you.

Personally, I prefer the "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns" solo sound over Tag's clip. Is this blasphemy? :wink:
For me the #183 clip has too much delay/reverb/whatever. Pardon my ignorance. I'm just a 5-string player that loves to hear a cool guitar sound :oops:

Please tell me that it's not amp modeling device on "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns" :lol:

Have to take a break now and listen to the clips with "fresh ears".

So far my favorite guitar sound still is in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6odoC4itw

Have a nice evening.

Peace,

Markus
Max

Post by Max »

markusw wrote:Hi Max,

thanks a lot for your informations! :D
So the Spreader might be somehow similar to a chorus, I suppose. Do you know "if modulation of the frequency range" means that the there is some additional filtering/EQing of the delayed signal, or does it refer to the "filtering" obtained by mixing a delayed signal with the dry one (a la chorus/flanger), or if it is indeed frequency shifting?
In the end it probably doesn't really matter since you already wrote that there is only a tiny bit of spreader present.
Hi Markus,

here's an instructional video: http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Use-th ... -264604793 Does this answer your question?
Also thanks for extending the riddle! 8)
I sincerely hope that others will chime in to make it more interesting for you.
This chat with you is very interesting!
So it's no problem if others here perhaps shouldn't be that much interested in this topic or simply shouldn't have the time or may perhaps be a bit too shy to openly post their opinions or whatever. And in my view no one here ows me a favour. But of course it would be great if others would chime in.
Personally, I prefer the "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns" solo sound over Tag's clip. Is this blasphemy? :wink:
For me the #183 clip has too much delay/reverb/whatever.
Can you perhaps explain a bit more in detail what kind of other differences you perceive than just the delay/reverb on the #183 clip and why you like the "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns" tone better?
So far my favorite guitar sound still is in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6odoC4itw
Yes, indeed a nice guitar tone and IMO very suitable in a lot of musical contexts. I've played such a 5th generation skyline for some time. Can you perhaps explain a bit more in detail, what you like about this amp in the Peter Lerche video and why you like its tone better than the tone of the #183 and the "Bridge Of 1000 Autumns" clips?

Have a nice day, Markus,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Max
First off I really kinda dug the grooves..Thanks for posting!.. That Lucy's got soul huh!!..
The Solo part mp3 you posted I have to say has that 70's Classic stack kinda vibe (from what I can tell from the clip)..

Have a Nice Day

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"