Eric Johnson's original Overdrive Special?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

nix

Eric Johnson's original Overdrive Special?

Post by nix »

Anyone have any pics/info/specs?

I'm referring to the one used on the 'Tones' album, specifically the tunes 'Zap' and the solo in 'Soulful Terrain' (KILLER tone on that solo).
I know a bit about his SSS (I played though it years ago), but I've never even seen one pic in a magazine/otherwise of his ODS. He obviously didn't use it much other than the recording of that album. I'm curious what ever became of it.
Last edited by nix on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarjazz

Re: Eric Johnson's original Overdrive Special?

Post by guitarjazz »

I was at the filming of his first Austin City Limits appearance, in 1984. I don't recall an ODS but I think I remember the SSS, two Twins, and Marshall. That sounds like the punch line to a joke. I think I remember Kinison talking about twins.
Anyway his tones were glorious.
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

I believe the ODS that was used on ZAP etc. was a NON-HRM Skyliner ala Robben Ford. It was in a black tolex covered headcase with a black front panel.

He's owned the following Dumble's to my knowledge:

Blackface ODS (Robben Ford spec)
Silverface Steel String Singer
Odyssey Pwr amp (as seen in his rack in the late 80's used with the SSS's preamp)
Manzamp Preamp

Now he owns an Original Explosion era Overdrive Special or OD deluxe from the 70's
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

I know for a fact that he also owned a Dumble 2X12 cab.
nix

Post by nix »

Thanks for that bit of info, Greg. Do you know whether it would have been EL-34 or 6L6 based?
Are there any photos of this amp?
Also, he would have to have taken delivery sometime around '83-ish, as he had his SSS in time for the '84 ACL appearance. This would have made the circuit rather different from the known #102 Ford amp (which has been updated several times), right? When did Ford get his first one, before or after that?
One little cool note about the SSS: the back-panel was stamped with 'Custom Made For Mr. Eric Johnson'. I've only ever seen that otherwise done for Jackson Brown and David Lindley. Have any of you guys seen other names of customers on back-panels?
Of course, none of this is terribly important. I was considering this amp earlier today and thought it'd be fun to ask around about it, seeing as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info.
nix

Post by nix »

guitarjazz wrote:I know for a fact that he also owned a Dumble 2X12 cab.
As did his bassist, Kyle Brock when I played with them in the late eighties. Kyle's 2x12's (he had a pair used with an old Hiwatt head)) were in the same orange suede covering with oxblood grill-cloth you see on Christopher Cross' old amps. I wonder of those didn't come from Cross?
Max

Post by Max »

nix wrote:Thanks for that bit of info, Greg. Do you know whether it would have been EL-34 or 6L6 based?
Hi nix,

In 1983 it is IMO not that probable that is has been an EL34 amp - but not impossible. In the 4th generation "classic" data sheet you find EL34 power tubes as an option. But AFAIK at least by far most of the "classic" amps have originally been built with a 6L6 power amp.
I'll do some research and then report. May last some weeks.
Also, he would have to have taken delivery sometime around '83-ish, as he had his SSS in time for the '84 ACL appearance. This would have made the circuit rather different from the known #102 Ford amp (which has been updated several times), right? When did Ford get his first one, before or after that?
AFAIR RF got #102 around the same time (81/82 AFAIR). At this time #102 AFAIK will most probably have been delivered with the then usual "classic" circuit specs like all these "classic" ODS amps starting around #07X with the first transition generation "classic" amps of as some examples Steve Farris, Carlos Rios, and Tom Verlaine. Here's a layout of such a "classic" circuit: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 262#140262. So if EJ got his ODS in 1983 it will most probably have been originally built and delivered with such a "classic" circuit.
One little cool note about the SSS: the back-panel was stamped with 'Custom Made For Mr. Eric Johnson'. I've only ever seen that otherwise done for Jackson Brown and David Lindley. Have any of you guys seen other names of customers on back-panels?
Up to now I can - like you - only recall Browne and Lindley.
Of course, none of this is terribly important. I was considering this amp earlier today and thought it'd be fun to ask around about it, seeing as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info.
So let's try to find some more info.

Cheers,

Max
nix

Post by nix »

Max wrote:
Hi nix,

In 1983 it is IMO not that probable that is has been an EL34 amp - but not impossible. In the 4th generation "classic" data sheet you find EL34 power tubes as an option. But AFAIK at least by far most of the "classic" amps have originally been built with a 6L6 power amp.
I'll do some research and then report. May last some weeks.

So let's try to find some more info.

Cheers,

Max
Sweet!...An adventure!

The more I think about it, it may have been delivered as late as early '85. He may have gotten the SSS late '83 and the ODS anywhere in between up to the start of the 'Tones' sessions.
I have friends who may have some answers.
You're right about most of those amp from that period having 6L6's of course, I'm just wondering if this particular amp may not have been a bit odd for Dumble at the time.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

nix wrote:
guitarjazz wrote:I know for a fact that he also owned a Dumble 2X12 cab.
As did his bassist, Kyle Brock when I played with them in the late eighties. Kyle's 2x12's (he had a pair used with an old Hiwatt head)) were in the same orange suede covering with oxblood grill-cloth you see on Christopher Cross' old amps. I wonder of those didn't come from Cross?
Do you know what speakers Kyle Brock used in the 2x12's?
talbany

Post by talbany »

nix
Not much is really known about Erics ODS..Rumor has it there is a kind of love hate relationship with the amp (prefers it with humbuckers) but prefers the strats run through his Marshall w/FF for his OD tone now..AFAIK it still resides in his collection but rarely comes out to play.. Of coarse his ODS has been modified several times AFAIK..Read below..
BTW..I think there is a picture of it in Aspen Pittmans GT book 2nd edition

(I posted this before you may have missed it)

Here's some stuff on the topic from Eric's drummer, Tommy Taylor:

"There WAS overdrive special on Tones...Zap! And possibly Friends...maybe one or two others.
Soulful Terrain was cut with a '58 Strat, except for the solo, which was done with a '54 Strat on the bridge pickup using the Dumble Overdrive Special amp into a Marshall speaker box.
His was quite a bit different from the stock version. It used some parts variations that Alexander changed to make it do what Ej wanted it to do."

"Well...interestingly enough I remember when he got it. Alexander had finished it finally and Ej was playing through it and it wasn't exactly what he had in mind...we were at his old shop in N. Hollywood at Amigo studios if I recall. He listened to Eric's comments and said oh...and he got a little pad out and wrote some things on it and sent Jerry Holmes to Radio Shack...in about 20 minutes after Jerry got back Alex had it up and running...after soldering like crazy...Ej plugged it in and it was like totally Ej...eric said what did you do...??? Alexander basically said.....you like crummy parts... My parts have too close of tolerances for what you are going for so I just got some parts with really sloppy wide tolerances and put them in some of the key places...and he kind of grinned."

"The SSS was purchased in the 90's by another very well known guitarist here as was the Odyssey and the ManZamp Preamp. This gentleman decided to part with the SSS and Eric was trying it out again. The amp had been regrooved by Alexander. He opted not to get it back in the end and I believe the amp has been sold to Carlos Santana. It is really a beast and very loud. Most of the time during the AVM period if you heard him live he wasn't using it anyway but rather using the preamp section to power the old Odyssey power amp because he preferred the sound of that pre section more than the ManZamp pre amp. The Odyssey was a 100w power amp and Ej had a very early prototype. I think it broke up a little easier and of course wasn't nearly so loud. The SSS is really stadium approved and even when dialed in...hardly distorts. He is looking for a little dirtier bit on the DR amps than what this actually does. He has acquired a very early ODS which he is toying with. VERY early...one could call IT a prototype."

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
nix

Post by nix »

CHIP wrote: Do you know what speakers Kyle Brock used in the 2x12's?
It seems like they were EV's, but I may be wrong.

talbany wrote: Not much is really known about Erics ODS..Rumor has it there is a kind of love hate relationship with the amp (prefers it with humbuckers) but prefers the strats run through his Marshall w/FF for his OD tone now..AFAIK it still resides in his collection but rarely comes out to play.. Of coarse his ODS has been modified several times AFAIK..Read below..
BTW..I think there is a picture of it in Aspen Pittmans GT book 2nd edition
Thanks, Tony.
The Tommy Taylor quotes definitely jibe with what I remember Eric telling me back then. Also, for clarification, Eric's primary lead setup (the one that would have occasionally been occupied by the Overdrive Special) used a '69 Super Bass with a Tube Driver (or sometimes an 808 Tube Screamer) and Echoplex (this Super Bass has since died and been replaced with various plexi's). The Fuzz Face is used in his dirty rhythm setup (SSS earlier onin conjunction with another TS808; Marshall plexi with 6L6's intsalled more recently) as an additional lead tone.
That Fuzz Face into the SSS was unforgettably cool! I've still not gotten over playing through it.
Digressing back to the ODS...
If anyone has a scan of this photo from the Aspen Pittman book, that would help our archeological search.
David Root

Post by David Root »

This "VERY early" ODS, would it be an actual prototype, ie made before #001, or is it a low number production model, eg 004, for example?
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

It would be an explosion era (mid 70's Overdrive Deluxe etc.) or early 70's prototype (modded Bassman Bandmaster or Showman). Its Pre Overdrive Special, that's all that is known.
Max

Post by Max »

David Root wrote:This "VERY early" ODS, would it be an actual prototype, ie made before #001, or is it a low number production model, eg 004, for example?
Hi David,

maybe you did misunderstand something in Tony's post. "Very early" is not his ODS but his Odyssey:

"The Odyssey was a 100w power amp and Ej had a very early prototype"

It's indeed a very early one. I've a picture somewhere.

BTW: AS far as I remember the ODS pictures in the 2nd edition GT book these have been pictures of Robben Ford's amp. But I may remember wrong. 4th edition pictures are RF's amps, I just made sure again.

Cheers,

Max
nix

Post by nix »

Max wrote:
David Root wrote:This "VERY early" ODS, would it be an actual prototype, ie made before #001, or is it a low number production model, eg 004, for example?
Hi David,

maybe you did misunderstand something in Tony's post. "Very early" is not his ODS but his Odyssey:

"The Odyssey was a 100w power amp and Ej had a very early prototype"

It's indeed a very early one. I've a picture somewhere.

BTW: AS far as I remember the ODS pictures in the 2nd edition GT book these have been pictures of Robben Ford's amp. But I may remember wrong. 4th edition pictures are RF's amps, I just made sure again.

Cheers,

Max
Max, the 'very early...' amp being referred to is a recent acquisition for Eric. He had sold ALL of his Dumbles at one point (by the late '90s), and sometime in the last few years picked this 'very early..' amp up used, either through Dumble himself or otherwise.
The one we're chasing in this thread was his original Overdrive Special built for him in the early '80s and used on 'Tones'.