new build choice, 2nd gen 50w

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: new build choice, 2nd gen 50w

Post by norburybrook »

mojotom wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:28 pm Lower voltages for V1/V2 could help smoothness (it could feel a bit stiff at higher voltages as the amp is more raw overall).
That amp really shine with NOS tubes, even more so than later gen, it was night and day for me.

Keep trying the AT, good quality NOS are available at a good price, I like both after running the amp for a while.
I didn't change anything regarding plate PI resistors (47k/51k) whith a 12AX. 70's owners seems to change that tube according to taste but the amps (and 13/40/etc) were designed around 12AT7.
I would lower output stage feedback (or use a pot).

Those amps need to be open a bit more volume wise than a 102 to do their thing, and I like closed back cabs better.

Look at Tony Talbany 13 build, lots of info on that thread and another tonestack. I went for a classic TS after a while.
13 is less responsive, 40 a bit more but act strangely, classic was a bit better and more flexible and PAB option was nice too on OD.
You could remove one of the two caps on the bass pot (3rd gen tonestack).

I would ground the OD input on the OD relay like later amps (better cleans).

I would bias the amp a bit hotter than later amps.

And last but not least you could tweak the funky OD entrance or the output network (1M/180k). My amp was not balanced properly between clean and OD. Check the Kittyhawk amps FR exemple.

Tom,

Interesting. For the price of a vlave I might look into a NOS 12AT7. I do however like the 12 AX7 in there at the moment, I don;t know if it's serendipity but it sounds great compared to the new EHX AT7, the whole amp sprang to life when I popped that in.

@Martin Manning, what technical differences are there in changing the palte resitor values with the 12 AX7?

M
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

The AX feels good on the clean channel, giving a bit of hair/crunch vs the very linear (more current) AT, the later may sound a bit flat on the clean.
But on OD (and OD plus FET) pushed a bit (I use a 250k drive pot on mine) the AT feels more precise and less all over the place with more sustain and more feedback.

You may try to replace the 1M2 resistor at the OD entrance by 560k plus 1MA pot.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm@Martin Manning, what technical differences are there in changing the palte resitor values with the 12AX7?
It will break up sooner. 12AT7 with 47k/51k plates and 470Rb will have more headroom than 12AX7 swapped in without changing resistor values. If you go to Dumble-esque 100k/110k/820Rb you will have even less headroom. I guess it would be fair to say that what you are hearing with the 12AX7 swapped in with no changes is something between a standard 12AT7 and a standard 12AX7 PI.
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:43 pm Well I couldn't resist. I've ordered the red switches.

I've nearby finished the main board. I think it looks suitably 'retro' in '70's brown :D shame I haven't got a load of NOS components.

Progress.

Tomorrow I need to make a mounting plate as my PT is too small for the holes.Image

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Where did you find the dimensions and layout for the audio eyelet board?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Mr. dB wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:43 am
norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:43 pm
Where did you find the dimensions and layout for the audio eyelet board?
I just used the 2nd gen layout in thte files section. Opened it up in MS paint and cropped out the board, then saved that.

I then just by trial and error printed it out using different scaling until I got it to roughly the size of Martins ODS pre amp board form the ODS boards files.

I then just taped it over the plastic ,center puched through the paper and drilled. I made the board big enough so I could use the mounting points that were pre drilled on my chassis which I did last. You could use a standard board but you'd have to just alter the position of a few things. Mainly the cathodes and plates layout. I just wanted to give it a full retro look though so made my own boards from that brown plastic I found on ebay.

M
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Congrats on your magnificent build Marcus!
I see that you chose not to add the internal D-lator (probably to keep it as authentic as possible ;)

How does it compare to your #124?

Humble and Dumble,

Fred.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

fred.violleau wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm Congrats on your magnificent build Marcus!
I see that you chose not to add the internal D-lator (probably to keep it as authentic as possible ;)

How does it compare to your #124?

Humble and Dumble,

Fred.
Fred, my #124 only lasted a week in it's classic then Skyliner variants before I gave up and converted it fully to a #102 so I can't comment on the difference with this amp and a 124 sorry.

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

Marcus
IMO It's best to go into this without any comparisons to other "future generations", It's a different animal.I too went back and forth with the 12AT/AX option (everything else being equal)
Remember back in the early 70's we played LOUD!!..The AX for me seemed to perform better at lower volumes naturally because of the higher Mu factor, (the clean channel did have more life).However at higher vols the AT was punchier and spewed 2nd order, therefore the amp was fatter and stayed tighter and of course was a bit brighter and complex.You don't really notice this with it down low, however, cranked at gig volumes it's obvious!.As far as the OD?.The "funky" 3 resistor network entrance in this amp is different as well. it's generally a more focused around the mids and cut's more bass than the later 220k/ trimmer.IMO the AT really adds more 2nd restoring some low end back to the OD tone as well as some punch..The other thing I found is I like the AT better with pedals with this amp!.Most od/boost pedals are too compressed for my taste with the AT the amp retains some punch :D
Bottom line..Try to spend some time with it just as Dumble intended (AT)..Try it at different volumes,with different guitars with different pedals and speakers.(gig with it) and discover what sound Dumble was chasing!..I like the fact that the Special has different personalities throughout the evolution!.Some gig's I want my 102,others my 2nd gen or the BM!!.In the end they each have their thang with that one guitar that no other generation will do! and now it's on my shelf whenever I need it..HA!
Nice build..Keep me posted on what you discover..BTW try some different AT's there
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Tony,

Thanks for the detailed run down.

When you say loud, what's your yardstick? I generally have everything running at least at 12 O'clock so I wouldn't say it's quiet.

When I tried the AT7 which was a brand new EHX the amp felt a bit anemic, the tone controls didn't seem very adtive, as soon as I put in a 12AX7, which was a random made in china valve I had to hand, the amp completely opened up for me, the amp sounded full and the tone controls had more effect.

I've just ordered a NOS 12AT7 a Vintage GE so I'll give that a go when it get's here later this week.

Regarding pedals, I've always thought that using 'drive pedals with a Dumble ODS was kind of against the grain as it were.

I'm going the combo route with this so I feel that speaker choice will be very interesting, as I siad I'm leaning towards trying a high powered Alnico, a Celestion cream as the original had the Altec. Any thought's on this? I have a G12 -65 available and an Eminence also that could be used, I thought if it's fender like then alnico's would be the speaker of choice.

Marcus
talbany

Post by talbany »

Marcus
Just to be clear my last post was more directed to those who want to build this amp than to you directly so Sorry if I was unclear about that!..Addressing your post here we go.
When I tried the AT7 which was a brand new EHX the amp felt a bit anemic, the tone controls didn't seem very active, as soon as I put in a 12AX7, which was a random made in china valve I had to hand, the amp completely opened up for me, the amp sounded full and the tone controls had more effect.
A couple things on this?
1st. This is a common complaint with the 2nd gen's lack of range of the tone controls!..Even people who own an original told me the same. This could be due to the higher valued Mid control and higher 1M bass (see schematic attached) as well as the James config around the bass pot and the low plates. I did, however find that it gave me enough range to dial in a perfectly useable sound!, especially for a Strat!.If I wanted a more scooped tone I had the deep and or jazz switch put me more into the blackface tonal area that was also perfectly usable....If this really bothers you then let's start small.Try removing the 002 cap on the James and split the pot with the .02 (Skyliner style) and this should help with the range of the bass pot and get rid of that weird tone shift.Let me know how this works out..2nd I never noticed going from an AT to an AX effected my tone controls given the PI is downstream from the stack (confused)I did think the AX helped to open up the amp a bit but for me was not that drastic and I lost the punch I really liked for the OD.Let us know how the new AT does.I have an old 80's Sino in mine..Good gain factor tube
When you say loud, what's your yardstick? I generally have everything running at least at 12 O'clock so I wouldn't say it's quiet.
I don't know what taper pots you have so I will just say this.I generally put these amps in the Twin/Showman class of amps, we all generally have an Idea as to how hard we need to push these amps before they start to come to life.Dumble used the same PI and gain sections in the preamp, so I generally treat them like those amps with respect to volume levels and when the amp opens up arento me real similar!
Regarding pedals, I've always thought that using 'drive pedals with a Dumble ODS was kind of against the grain as it were.
Yes I do " at times" go against the grain!.especially when I don't feel like carrying out my rack of outboard gear..Lol! This is by far my fave ODS pedal platform amp because it's a low Plate and has the AT!

The tweaks I did to mine was this!..Set it up with a fixed NFB resistor (ala Showman/Twin) so there was very little NFB (open up the output section)..Converted the presence control to a vox cut control (same one that's in the 2 rock Mayer amp).Removed the .002 from the James.I adjusted the voltage divider after V2B to better balance the vol between clean and OD..At one point I messed with the bypass resistor on the OD entrance network to tweak the gain (kitty hawk amps lowered it to 620 K I think) I don't remember where I settled on that resistor if at all but is a cool tweak if you want to get more gain at lower volumes..That's it I believe..
To be clear I am not at all against anyone tweaking an amp.My experience has been after I played the amp for a while and have gotten used to all the good things about it I don't even think about things like the range on the stack anymore I get a great sound like it is.This is also what others who own the real deal have said and have to say am glad I kept it pretty much stock..I choose to open up the output section and try to get some life there instead of the AX or in the front of the amp which can be trickier since everything effects everything else when you start tweaking the preamp.IMO it's a great amp in a different way for sure so try and let it grow on you first then tweak!..Stock cars don't come with A/C..Lol!
'
m going the combo route with this so I feel that speaker choice will be very interesting, as I said I'm leaning towards trying a high powered Alnico, a Celestion cream as the original had the Altec. Any thought's on this? I have a G12 -65 available and an Eminence also that could be used, I thought if it's fender like then alnico's would be the speaker of choice.
Yeah That's a tough one!..I will say that this amp is brighter and more upper midrange focused than the high plate amps so they can be a bit on the bright side..I tried an Alnico Altec 417 and thought it was a bit much for my taste..The Celestion G-12 65 is a safe choice along with the Eminence as well as the EVL's.I prefer a closed back design for tighter bass response but that is subjective..Overall though I would say the amp is Fender-like and for the most part pretty speaker friendly just stay away from a 1k spike would be my advice as the amp has plenty in the 500/1K area.If it's a open back and single 12 a powerful magnet is always a good thing!
BTW. I have a question?..You mention
Fred, my #124 only lasted a week in it's classic then Skyliner variants before I gave up and converted it fully to a #102
Why did you build this amp!..The basic topology (low plate, Skyliner) is really similar to 124(with a cleaner PI and a less responsive stack)Since you did not like the 124 what inspired you to build this amp and what were you expecting to be different..Not to sound like an ass just curious to know maybe it will help us with the tweaking!!

Whew! that was long !!Hope this helps!
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by talbany on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

talbany wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 pm
Tony
Interesting schematic, Tony! Is that from the actual ODS #33 that had a reverb unit added to it?
- Matt J.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Matt J wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:32 am
talbany wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 pm
Tony
Interesting schematic, Tony! Is that from the actual ODS #33 that had a reverb unit added to it?
- Matt J.
Matt
It's an active (Non buffered) parallel loop that is fed off the clean channel return to the master vol that is in phase..Probably work well with an external reverb/delay unit(If you wanted to use a reverb pedal this would be a good way to go).Also if you jumper it you may get some kind of boost?..Pretty slick! "This is one of around 25 Dumble amplifiers that were imported to Germany in the late seventies and early eighties. Dumble had a deal with a shop in Bochum called "Applied Acoustics". It is unknown if Dumble installed the loop or if it was a later modification.The rest of the schematic is stock 2nd gen AFAIK apart from An additional pot is added on the chassis to adjust the gain of the fet input.and a few other tweaks
Enjoy
Tony
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

talbany wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 pm Why did you build this amp!..The basic topology (low plate, Skyliner) is really similar to 124(with a cleaner PI and a less responsive stack)Since you did not like the 124 what inspired you to build this amp and what were you expecting to be different..Not to sound like an ass just curious to know maybe it will help us with the tweaking!!

Tony
Tony,

I built it because I wanted something different. I Built my #124 because Eric Clapton/Van Morrisons guitarist prised my #102 from my hands with a large cheque after he tried it one day. I'd heard a friends #124 on a recording and it sounded lovely, however when I built mine I missed what i had with the #102 so after a couple of weeks of tweaking I just remade it full #102 spec and it's been my go to amp now for a couple of years. It's the amp on my new album.

So FFwd a couple of years and I wanted to have a combo for one, and something that was perhaps a little more Fender like and this seemed to fit the bill.

I'm in the middel of a 6 week tour at the moment so need to put some time aside to make a cabinet and really play this amp and see what it's got to give.

Maybe it will be the amp of my next record :D

thanks for your contribution here on this thread, I think build threads like these bring up really interesting questions and answers and conversations that are invaluable to everyone here.

Marcus
talbany

Post by talbany »

You're welcome!.Hope it helps!.The last thing I will say for anyone going down the ODS road :evil:. After years of building tweaking and playing all of these designs, the ones I've kept around have been 2nd Gen/4th Gen skyline 102/Bluesmaster/Music Man.(in no order)
At one point I am sure I had a favourite? however today I can't really say which one I like best since they all sound great (Dumble is a genius!!), it really just depends on? am I home,practice, gig, studio, what style and what guitar and mood I am in!.I can say I do prefer low plates and classic stack's (2nd 3rd gen's) with Strats and Teles for clean "Fender sound" and later high plates for the OD (Ford)102 sound from the humbuckers.My fave clean sound for Humbuckers I get from my Bluesmaster (More aggressive) using 120/150 plates and hotter PI as well as the versatility of the OD stack and the dual masters (Strat cleans sound good as well but not really Fender-ish)This amp works best for me at lower volumes and can control it better (OD/W Boost :D Love it!) The Music Man cleans is one I put between the 102 and Bluesmaster since it is a bit more aggressive but feels better and mo touch sensitive than 102 using 34's (OD is similar).For slide stuff 2nd and 3rd gen hands down KILLS IT!
If I were a single artist and just had to get "my sound" I am sure I could find one of these and make it work (probably 102) but I am a working man's guitarist that has to cover a broader range of styles and venues and have been spoiled having built and played all these amps at some time.
Now I think of them like Strats/Teles/Pauls/Hollows/ all sound good and have their thang that makes them wonderful to play,the same goes for all these different ODS models and no matter how hard I tweaked and modified (years :x ) I could not combine all those sounds I listed in 1 amp.There was always 1 or 2 things I liked better in another model ODS! so I give up!..:roll: :cry:
BTW.Even Robben has been known to go into the studio with several ODS's (Jackson Brown's Suede classic,Steve Travato's HRM and others from Andy Brauer)
Now for the SSS's..Kidding :lol: :roll:

Just 1 spoiled man's opinion!
Best of luck!!
Tony
Last edited by talbany on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

talbany wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 pm Marcus
Just to be clear my last post was more directed to those who want to build this amp than to you directly so Sorry if I was unclear about that!..Addressing your post here we go.
When I tried the AT7 which was a brand new EHX the amp felt a bit anemic, the tone controls didn't seem very active, as soon as I put in a 12AX7, which was a random made in china valve I had to hand, the amp completely opened up for me, the amp sounded full and the tone controls had more effect.
A couple things on this?
1st. This is a common complaint with the 2nd gen's lack of range of the tone controls!..Even people who own an original told me the same. This could be due to the higher valued Mid control and higher 1M bass (see schematic attached) as well as the James config around the bass pot and the low plates. I did, however find that it gave me enough range to dial in a perfectly useable sound!, especially for a Strat!.If I wanted a more scooped tone I had the deep and or jazz switch put me more into the blackface tonal area that was also perfectly usable....If this really bothers you then let's start small.Try removing the 002 cap on the James and split the pot with the .02 (Skyliner style) and this should help with the range of the bass pot and get rid of that weird tone shift.Let me know how this works out..2nd I never noticed going from an AT to an AX effected my tone controls given the PI is downstream from the stack (confused)I did think the AX helped to open up the amp a bit but for me was not that drastic and I lost the punch I really liked for the OD.Let us know how the new AT does.I have an old 80's Sino in mine..Good gain factor tube
I don't know what taper pots you have so I will just say this.I generally put these amps in the Twin/Showman class of amps, we all generally have an Idea as to how hard we need to push these amps before they start to come to life.Dumble used the same PI and gain sections in the preamp, so I generally treat them like those amps with respect to volume levels and when the amp opens up arento me real similar!
Yes I do " at times" go against the grain!.especially when I don't feel like carrying out my rack of outboard gear..Lol! This is by far my fave ODS pedal platform amp because it's a low Plate and has the AT!

The tweaks I did to mine was this!..Set it up with a fixed NFB resistor (ala Showman/Twin) so there was very little NFB (open up the output section)..Converted the presence control to a vox cut control (same one that's in the 2 rock Mayer amp).Removed the .002 from the James.I adjusted the voltage divider after V2B to better balance the vol between clean and OD..At one point I messed with the bypass resistor on the OD entrance network to tweak the gain (kitty hawk amps lowered it to 620 K I think) I don't remember where I settled on that resistor if at all but is a cool tweak if you want to get more gain at lower volumes..That's it I believe..
To be clear I am not at all against anyone tweaking an amp.My experience has been after I played the amp for a while and have gotten used to all the good things about it I don't even think about things like the range on the stack anymore I get a great sound like it is.This is also what others who own the real deal have said and have to say am glad I kept it pretty much stock..I choose to open up the output section and try to get some life there instead of the AX or in the front of the amp which can be trickier since everything effects everything else when you start tweaking the preamp.IMO it's a great amp in a different way for sure so try and let it grow on you first then tweak!..Stock cars don't come with A/C..Lol!
'
m going the combo route with this so I feel that speaker choice will be very interesting, as I said I'm leaning towards trying a high powered Alnico, a Celestion cream as the original had the Altec. Any thought's on this? I have a G12 -65 available and an Eminence also that could be used, I thought if it's fender like then alnico's would be the speaker of choice.
Yeah That's a tough one!..I will say that this amp is brighter and more upper midrange focused than the high plate amps so they can be a bit on the bright side..I tried an Alnico Altec 417 and thought it was a bit much for my taste..The Celestion G-12 65 is a safe choice along with the Eminence as well as the EVL's.I prefer a closed back design for tighter bass response but that is subjective..Overall though I would say the amp is Fender-like and for the most part pretty speaker friendly just stay away from a 1k spike would be my advice as the amp has plenty in the 500/1K area.If it's a open back and single 12 a powerful magnet is always a good thing!
BTW. I have a question?..You mention
Fred, my #124 only lasted a week in it's classic then Skyliner variants before I gave up and converted it fully to a #102
Why did you build this amp!..The basic topology (low plate, Skyliner) is really similar to 124(with a cleaner PI and a less responsive stack)Since you did not like the 124 what inspired you to build this amp and what were you expecting to be different..Not to sound like an ass just curious to know maybe it will help us with the tweaking!!

Tony
Always nice to read your reports and lots of info.

I wouldn't mind more info on the Musicman amps ;)

I remember that schem labeled 33 was supposed to be drawn by a Japanese amp builder (very nicely done) and he gave it to Andy Fuchs at a Namm show or something. Not from an actual Dumble.