183 build questions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

professormudd

183 build questions

Post by professormudd »

Greetings,

I have been slowly working towards getting my 183 assembled. I am using eyelet boards acquired from Mr. Taylor Cox at Amplified Nation which match the layouts by Mr. Martin Manning.

I have a question about the power rating for a couple of the resistors. I was comparing the PCB layout from frusciante89 to the layout in the Dumble Files section and noticed that the PCB layout calls for a 3W 820R, a 2W 24K, and a 3W 4.7K while on the layout provided by Mr. Tony Albany it does not specify the power rating for these resistors.

Question: are resistors with higher power rating necessary/recommended here or will 1 watt resistors do the trick?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
xtian

Re: 183 build questions

Post by xtian »

Even 1/4w resistors will work in those positions. I prefer 1w, because they're larger and nice to work with. The 3W rating comes from what HAD chose to use, and reflects his own idiosyncrasies.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

xtian wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:11 pm Even 1/4w resistors will work in those positions. I prefer 1w, because they're larger and nice to work with. The 3W rating comes from what HAD chose to use, and reflects his own idiosyncrasies.
Thanks, I appreciate the response.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
xtian

Post by xtian »

OK, cool. I'll be waiting for the other 182 build questions. :)
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

xtian wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:56 pm OK, cool. I'll be waiting for the other 182 build questions. :)
:lol: Solid dad joke.

But you know.... I might end up with that many (or way more) by the time I get this completed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Matt

Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

Your going to have fun building a 183. I built mine about a year ago and it came out sounding great. I also used Taylors circuit boards.
talbany

Post by talbany »

I have a question about the power rating for a couple of the resistors. I was comparing the PCB layout from frusciante89 to the layout in the Dumble Files section and noticed that the PCB layout calls for a 3W 820R, a 2W 24K, and a 3W 4.7K while on the layout provided by Mr. Tony Albany it does not specify the power rating for these resistors.

Question: are resistors with higher power rating necessary/recommended here or will 1 watt resistors do the trick?
2 and 3 watt resistors for the grids and cathodes of the P.I :shock: :lol:
Dumble used a 1/2 watt NTE (diamond label) metal film resistors (in the P.I) as part of the mojo that is 183 :wink:
the darker colored ones on the plates and slope are Roederstein Mk3

BTW..Dumble generally stuck with the .05w on the preamp with the occasional 1 w which was usually the GNFB resistor. For some reason he liked to use 1W there? could it be for the sound?? :wink:

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Thank you for the info there, talbany.

Another question, is the voltage regulator mounted directly to the chassis, or is it recommended to use a heatsink?
-Matt

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

professormudd wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:38 pm Thank you for the info there, talbany.

Another question, is the voltage regulator mounted directly to the chassis, or is it recommended to use a heatsink?
I've always bolted it straight to the chassis. Aluminium is a good heat sink anyway. That is if your chassis is Aluminium,

M
Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

I put mine floating in the air connected to a standoff.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Depends on the amount of voltage and current your trying to regulate however the relays draw very little current to energize their coils,so I don't think it matters that much with the relays,mine get warm to the touch (after switching it 30 or so times) . I used to mount them to the chassis but now I fly them and have had not one failure in about 100 or so amps.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Thanks for all the info. My previous build employed a heatsink, so I wasn't sure about this one.

I ended up bolting it to the chassis since there was a hole for it and I think it looks a bit tidier this way.
-Matt

professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Regarding my options for power transformers....

I have on-hand a Hammond 290FX. However, when I install it in the chassis, my relay transformer (186B12) secondaries get pushed up and they are pressed right up against the housing of the 290FX.

I am open to switching to a vertical mount transformer or switching the transformer I am using for the relays.

I would appreciate any recommendations.
-Matt

professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Abe5150 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 pm Your going to have fun building a 183. I built mine about a year ago and it came out sounding great. I also used Taylors circuit boards.
Which power transformer did you use?
-Matt

Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

professormudd wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:54 pm
Abe5150 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 pm Your going to have fun building a 183. I built mine about a year ago and it came out sounding great. I also used Taylors circuit boards.
Which power transformer did you use?
I used the Heyboer blackface twin plus.