Yeah, nevermind.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

prairie

Yeah, nevermind.

Post by prairie »

Yeah, nevermind.
Last edited by prairie on Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xtian

Re: Would someone want to review my schematic and layout?

Post by xtian »

There are lots of issues. You need a grid stopper on V1A pin2. The last 10K B+ dropper should be deleted. You have three identical gain stages (110K/2K6||68n)--why? You have TWO cathode followers in series. I'm sure there are more.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
prairie

Post by prairie »

Yeah, nevermind.
Last edited by prairie on Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bepone

Post by bepone »

@prairie
first and important question! are you shure you can make this hi-gain amp ?
you have put 5 preamp stages in cascade, you need to have a lot of experience to satisfy all technical and layout issues.

also, do you have any normal reason to use decimal and strange values 113k, 2.61k, 499k, 51.1k, which just making pain in the eyes? :lol:
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

Looking at the schematic, .047 cap on input to ground has got to go. The 150K in the bias filter network should go on the other side of the Standby switch.

Layout: Not sure where you are grounding the CT for B+, but it's wrong.
bepone

Post by bepone »

R41 , R42, R43, R19 will do nothing good with the values provided. pins in short 7-8 on tube sockets..
this is fishing isnt it? :mrgreen: from 10 forums, maybe will be some amp at the end
prairie

Post by prairie »

Yeah, nevermind.
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

prairie wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:08 am The CT is currently going to the shared node with the one end of the choke. If there's a better place for it to go, please let me know your thoughts!
Good grounding is not something you just put a Band-Aid(TM) on at the end of a design. It needs to be there from the start. There are as many grounding schemes as there are posters on this board and I don't want to get in the middle of that debate. Although star grounding has a theoretical advantage, it's next to impossible to implement properly and a stack of ground lugs on a single screw ain't it. My personal favorite is what I call a daisy-chain of (small) stars (at the minus side of filter caps) with a chassis ground at the Input jack. Get out your checkbook and get KOC's TUT books to read about it.

There must be many threads on grounding here at TAG.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

prairie wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:08 am
Well, every forum I've posted, every one of them has offered different opinions and tips, so I'd call that progress, no?

No. I call it random and I am unsure what your experience with consensus of random internet jackasses is, but mine is 99.8% negative.

If someone named Hoagy responded to you, listen to him. Thank all the other people for their time and build a 50w Marshall mule amp to learn on.

Google Valve Wizard. Read Merlin's grounding section. Read everything on that site. Buy his books. Melt a whole spool of solder before you imagine that you are clued. This isn't a cut and paste world. You can put an amp-x preamp with amp-y's output section, but it is unlikely you would accidently have a great idea that works in less time than it takes to pay someone experienced to build a dream.

First thing: Grounding Scheme is Signal. It is just that important. ABSOLUTELY essential.

I don't know what a Fish is, but you can recreate the preamp with common values mated to a Marshall output and follow the Marshall layout style and stay away from the weird topological choices. If you build a weird thing in a weird way, nobody can help you.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

LOUDthud wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:18 am There are as many grounding schemes as there are posters on this board and I don't want to get in the middle of that debate.

Although star grounding has a theoretical advantage,

:oops:

:shock:

:lol:

FIGHT!!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bepone

Post by bepone »

for high gain the best is buss of star gnds! 8) + DC heaters for first 2 tubes
prairie

Post by prairie »

Yeah, nevermind.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Having been down a similar road a couple years ago, I would recommend learning some solid basics by building a proven design before creating your own. Build a Marshall kit like Reel mentioned. It’s fast, it will most likely work, and you can get a feel for tube amp logistics. I can’t learn it fast enough, it’s been a lot of fun for me. Most importantly, putting this stuff together incorrectly and plugging it into a wall can barbecue flesh, so for your own well being (no joke), respect the advice you’ve already been given. Have fun and be safe, dude.
Just plug it in, man.
bepone

Post by bepone »

hi-gain amp can be 10th on the list, not before 5th...otherwise there is a risk of big dissapointment and wasted resources , no any satisfactory result, can lead to losing interest in valve circuits..
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

prairie wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:46 pm Yeah, nevermind.
Back to the gear page to ask 12 year olds?