Lowest price Dumble clones in Europe?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Lowest price Dumble clones in Europe?

Post by martin manning »

So the real answer to my question above is that you are a guy who wants to go into the business of selling amps for cheap.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I wouldn't do too much head scratching. It might start bleeding. :P

The thread has morphed into something loosely related to the original idea and should probably become a new thread. The OP's ineffective communication of his desire, skill, and location isn't conducive to soliciting help IMO. He is fortunate because most of the members here have shown a very high level of tolerance for this type of shenanigans. Historically, the members have taken the high road and helped in similar situations. Although, I am guessing that the OP doesn't really need help.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

So IF I can build one for cheap and IF I decide to continue doing it then that makes me a crook? In that case any personal details will be considered as an advertisement so I will abstain from that.
As I already noted moderators can delete or lock the thread at any time they wish. Or maybe it would be better if I do it for them.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

metalguy wrote:So IF I can build one for cheap and IF I decide to continue doing it then that makes me a crook?
Of course not. The considerable information compiled and stored here is freely available to anyone for any purpose.
metalguy wrote:In that case any personal details will be considered as an advertisement so I will abstain from that.
I don't see any problem there, but being secretive about your intentions and location leaves an unsavory impression. I like your combined power supply board btw, and sharing your layout is one way of giving back to the forum.

I'm still interested to see what you come up with for your prototype, but of course a product for sale calling itself a "clone" will need a higher standard of fidelity to the original. That's one market niche, but there are others where a functional equivalent would be perfectly acceptable, provided it has high reliability and a high-quality, finished appearance.
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

Calling this build a clone would be too ambitious for a first one so I would call it a D-style amp. The legend says that even HAD couldn't clone exactly his amps so who am I to claim anything like that.
There are quite a few names/companies that didn't follow the exact layout yet their amps are very popular because obviously they could recreate that tone character and this is what counts in the first place, isn't it? Compared to that cosmetics is the easy part.
Concerning the reliability I guess only the time can tell.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I'm interested in your progress. What chassis are you using? Will you be building your own cabinet? Faceplates?
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

Well, It's kind of early for a cabinet unless you meant the head shell.
Note that I live close to the city's industrial zone and withing a radius of 2 kilometers I have access to all kinds of suppliers and services necessary to build and amp - laser cutting, bending, welding, galvanization, powder coating, print shops for the face plates etc. This also applies for the woodwork - plywood suppliers, carpenters, CNC etc.
Most of these are small businesses that would do single pieces of something at regular prices without any problems. I used some of those services in the past so it's not a completely zero start situation so to speak.

amplifednation: Nice amps you have there!
amplifiednation

Interesting. Yeah I meant headshell cabinet for the amps. If you are using advanced computer programs for CNC or graphic design are we counting that as cost?

So is there a specific challenge? Can we lay it out?? I don't doubt you can build an amp for less than the price of a Ceriatone in Europe in 40 days.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

I don't have to use any advanced or expensive software. No 3D software needed. All I need is an older version of CorelDraw (even version 9 is OK) which I have from a long time. It can export all kind of files necessary for the laser cutting, CNC etc.
If you give them directly a Corel file there's a small cost to process it in the format they're using which saves me the trouble to buy and learn AutoCAD, Solidworks and expensive stuff like that.
amplifiednation

Solidworks is the cats meow.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

It's not much yet but it's a start.
Last edited by metalguy on Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

looks like a good start :D I see you're using a fender 6v lamp rather than an LED.

marcus
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

After looking at different designs I decided to include some parts that are not very typical for these amps. I've seen some builders using the jewel light so why not. I also like those shiny metal nut jack sockets.
larsvictor

Post by larsvictor »

Metalguy,

looks good. Please tell us something about the power transformer. Transformers are always the most expensive parts here in Europe. For the OT you went with hammond obviously.

Lars
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

I ordered the power transformers from a small business locally. They would do single "unfinished" pieces to the specs you provide. I got lucky they didn't have much work these days so I got it by the end of the week.
By unfinished I meant no endbells so I had to order them separately, then drill and powder coat them. Because they are "unfinished" and because I get them directly from the manufacturer the price is low compared to a ready to mount PT from the store.