seeking builder

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hebaton

seeking builder

Post by hebaton »

Not sure where to post this question.
I am looking to have a BF deluxe built. Wondering who are considered the "best" builders for this sort of thing.
I want someone that will use only the best parts and that has Ears !
Maybe wanting some level of customisation...
dorrisant

Re: seeking builder

Post by dorrisant »

There are quite a few here that can build that sort of thing to your specs. I would be interested.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

Let me try to give you a better idea of what I am looking for... actually,I'm not sure !
I am a passionate amateur that plays for fun with friends, and get the occasional small gig playing some times Jazz, some times classic rock and blues, event the occasional Prog rock route…
I’ll turn 65 in a few weeks and I am looking to get an amp built that will become my last and only amp. I want no compromise quality and I am more interested in tone than theory. I play mostly humbuckers. Archtop ( 175 style ) a 335, an LP but recently started having a lot of fun with a Strat... a late encounter for me. I currently have a JTM45 clone and a 1969 Super Reverb that was changed to AB763. Both are too loud when they start breathing for the best use. I like to use my guitar'S volume and tone pots a lot... Actually never found a pedal I loved, much prefer an amp's natural OD when needed yet I guess I need a good bit of clean headroom.

I have come to think something like a BF deluxe reverb, maybe with a couple twists could be the answer. Two different flavors in the 2 channels... Maybe a variable feedback pot ?, a tone stack bypass ???

Open to suggestions, This could be a 1 x 12 combo, or a head...
hebaton

Re: seeking builder No takers ???

Post by hebaton »

No one ?
xtian

Post by xtian »

Check out my Monkeymatic Whitney. It's a Deluxe Reverb build, with a three-way mid lift switch on the Normal channel. This amp (~20w) will break up nicely if you're competing with a drummer, where my Princeton Reverb (10w) couldn't compete. The speaker is a great all-rounder, great for humbuckers and distortion as well as spanky cleans: Jensen N12K.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=446546
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you like your SR I would first disconnect two of its 4 speakers and then wire the other two that would be used in parallel so you can audition playing it with half its normal SPL level.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

Here's something to consider.

I believe Rob Robinette has a build that uses Princeton reverb iron with no reverb or trem.

If I had it to do all over I would build a black face Princeton, with a twelve inch speaker, with the Princeton reverb iron. That could be built to have more harmonicly rich gain with the extra gain stages if done right. And a decent effects loop.

But I don't like spring reverb,, personally. I prefer to have a loop and use pedals between the pre and power amp.

I have even considered selling my Hoffman board and mojo cabinet with P10Q to find the conversion......if only the current amp weren't so dog gone nice, reverb and all.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

Here's a link to Rob's amp I was mentioning above

https://robrobinette.com/AA1164_Princet ... eleted.htm
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

xtian wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:44 pm Check out my Monkeymatic Whitney. It's a Deluxe Reverb build, with a three-way mid lift switch on the Normal channel. This amp (~20w) will break up nicely if you're competing with a drummer, where my Princeton Reverb (10w) couldn't compete. The speaker is a great all-rounder, great for humbuckers and distortion as well as spanky cleans: Jensen N12K.

Are there sample recordings available ? Honestly, not sure about PCB mont builds for what I want, but trying to keep an open mind.
hebaton

Post by hebaton »

dragonbat13 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:39 am Here's something to consider.

I believe Rob Robinette has a build that uses Princeton reverb iron with no reverb or trem.

If I had it to do all over I would build a black face Princeton, with a twelve inch speaker, with the Princeton reverb iron. That could be built to have more harmonicly rich gain with the extra gain stages if done right. And a decent effects loop.

But I don't like spring reverb,, personally. I prefer to have a loop and use pedals between the pre and power amp.

I have even considered selling my Hoffman board and mojo cabinet with P10Q to find the conversion......if only the current amp weren't so dog gone nice, reverb and all.
I love the princeton tone, even prefer it's beakup characteristics to that of the DR, but I fear there would not be enough clean headroom with a drummer and in a 5 piece band
xtian

Post by xtian »

hebaton wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:27 amAre there sample recordings available ? Honestly, not sure about PCB mont builds for what I want, but trying to keep an open mind.
I wouldn't hesitate to choose this AAELECTRONICS PCB over hand wired for any future builds.

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

hebaton wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:27 am
xtian wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:44 pm Check out my Monkeymatic Whitney. It's a Deluxe Reverb build, with a three-way mid lift switch on the Normal channel. This amp (~20w) will break up nicely if you're competing with a drummer, where my Princeton Reverb (10w) couldn't compete. The speaker is a great all-rounder, great for humbuckers and distortion as well as spanky cleans: Jensen N12K.

Are there sample recordings available ? Honestly, not sure about PCB mont builds for what I want, but trying to keep an open mind.
Unless you have intentions of modifying later on, a PCB build is just fine if not better for durability. Thing like pots, switches and tube sockets need old school hand wiring. But boards are better off PCB for a workhorse amp.